It does pay to wait

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Scored maybe 3/4 cord of free locust from a local neighbor off CL.
Sometimes I think I am too choosey but then the ash, black locust, sugar maple, black birch and hickory do come in!

Heck nothing wrong with being choosy just means your ahead of the game and will stay there making the right choices.

i don't understand what you mean by "wait." Did you pass on free wood to end up with free wood? Seems like you could just have more by taking all you can find.

Yes, I pass up pine, oak, willow, unidentified wood, elm. I could get more, but I would rather work for the highest quality. Its so much work, I want to get the biggest return in the shortest time!

gzecc said:
Yes, I pass up pine, oak, willow, unidentified wood, elm. I could get more, but I would rather work for the highest quality. Its so much work, I want to get the biggest return in the shortest time!

sounds like beech should be very high on your list?

I have been looking for beech, I've never had any or burned it. I also want some osage.

gzecc said:
I have been looking for beech, I've never had any or burned it. I also want some osage.

beech is much quicker to season wish thats all I had. Hedge to be real good take a couple years.

Why pass on oak? I'd take it and split it and set it aside. My neighbor wants me to take some of his pine (3 trees) but I've got down pines on my own property..... I'll pass on that. I've got a huge oak across the street that's down that I am working to get. I don't care if it takes it 2 years to season- that's a small price ($ 0) for quality wood to burn.

Nothing wrong with being a selective scrounger ( better than saying wood snob) When you're caught up - you can afford to be alittle selective.

In the shade on my property (only 2 acres) some oak has taken 3 summers to reach 20%. Thats too long for me. I could be dead in 2 yrs. I do have some oak, probably 25%.

Tell me the next time - since we're both NNJ. I'll be glad to scrounge any OAK you want to pass on.

My lot has full sun and lots of wind. I've only seasoned dead fallen oak and it's done well. Never gotten my hands on any really green oak. My brother gave me a bunch of oak rounds that were 1 year + as rounds that I seasoned 1 additional year as splits and it was great wood.

Scrounging lately seems to only have me finding maple.

OK BW you tell me when there is ash and black locust and I'll tell you when there is oak. BTW what town are you in?

gzecc said:
OK BW you tell me when there is ash and black locust and I'll tell you when there is oak. BTW what town are you in?

HA ! Ok - you got me there...... So there's a price for the Oak you pass on!!! That seems fair. Actually, if you are still scrounging and I find something I can't find the time to get - I will pass it on to you. Lately - yard and garden work has sidelined my scrounging. I'm done for the year and trying to turn off my cravings to scrounge.

I'm in Lafayette.

Your in the country. I'm in bedminster on Rt 206.

OK - I probably wouldn't travel that far - even for oak anyway! Never hurts to ask. Good to know we aren't competing for each others wood.

Seems to me the last time we went down 206 to bridgewater - they were clearing alot of trees (utility work) and alot of good looking wood was just discarded along the roadside. Hope you got some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.