it doesn't feel like 75 in here??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
insert running since 5:00pm got a new thermometer from target and it says 75 with 32% humity - but for some reason it doesn't feel that warm in here :shrug:

that's because it"s a dry heat.

zzzzzzzzzzjust woke up on the reclining couch. put 2 nice size fir logs on my insert 2 hours ago, and whoa, temp on the wall is reading 84, no wonder I fell asleep. These are massive pieces and look like they have lots of hours to go. Yep, she is turned down as low as she will go.

placement of thermostat is a big issue. It may be too close to that stove. I know that ours is. at times my thermostat will read 85 degrees and my thermometer on the other side of the room will read 72..and its only 12' away!

Just remember when using a recliner to point feet towards stove, that way your beer is further away and will remain cooler for a longer period of time!!!

I've noticed that sometimes. If I come from working outside in the cold and enter a 75F room I'm like wow is it hot in here! However, if I sit in that 75F room for a period of time my body seems to become resistant to that heat and doesn't feel like it's as warm as it is. For an experiment, put on your winter gear and go outside for about 10 minutes and come back and you'll be shocked at how hot it is in there. Unless you're getting sick!

This is the true test, I go to the basement and were it is not heated and have a couple
of cold ones, then come upstairs and wow its hot up here. :red:

myzamboni said:
that's because it"s a dry heat.

I always wondered if this is the reason why my wife complains that she is "freezing" when on the second floor. Then I look at the t-stat and it says 72! What is an ideal percent humidity. I think our kettle isn't enough.

James

burntime said:
Just remember when using a recliner to point feet towards stove, that way your beer is further away and will remain cooler for a longer period of time!!!

Quoted for truth!

-SF

Having higher humidity helps a HUGE amount. Imagine that there's 100 million air moecules in the room (no idea on the real #).

The hotter it is, the faster these moelcules move. The faster, that they move, the more that hit you transferring their energy (heat) to you.

Now take that same room and ADD another few million molecules of water from a humidifier or stove top kettle. You now have more molecules moving at a fast rate of speed colliding with you. Instead of 100 mill, now you have 120 mill or whatever hitting you and transferring heat to you. Works very well.

A lot of sources talk about 45-50% humidity being comfortable. In the winter, I like about 60% if I can get. Really FEELS much warmer.

My thermometer is on the opposite side of the room, approx. 15 away from the insert. Might look at some way of getting some humidity down there though, it is awfully dry. Anyway, when it says it`s 84 it is just that. Otherwise, I wouldn`t fall asleep. Would I?? :coolsmile: Ain`t carbon monoxide either, got one of those in the room as well. Maybe a couple of more beer`s might keep the eyes open longer.lol

Stevebass4 said:
insert running since 5:00pm got a new thermometer from target and it says 75 with 32% humity - but for some reason it doesn't feel that warm in here :shrug:

Would be nice to have so high a humidity. Out here that's on the high end, we can go days at the 6-12% levels, that's for ambient air outside. The actual moisture outside at say 15f is not the same percentage as at 75f. That said increasing the actual moisture in the air will make a difference in comfort level. The kettle on the stove, or a humidifier are two answers. A large fish tank in the stove room will help also. One of those Zen indoor water works will help, also. Not running the exhaust fan during your morning shower adds lots of moisture. I cook a lot of soup and high moisture meals, like chili, stews, in the Winter to add extra moisture, plus a steeping pot of coffee all day long. I have even taken a box of green wood shavings from the lathe and set it in the path of the stove blower, I like the smell of walnut or cherry or pine/spruce, don't like box elder at all.

The other answer is, silk thermals, they hold just the right amount of moisture next to your body.

I do not have one of those stove top kettles for fear that I will forget to fill it and it will crack..I do have a whole house humidifier (freestanding) that I use and it works well but when its on (the fan) it seems like the house gets cooler!

I have a cast iron enameled humidifier and run it out of water all the time, hasn't cracked yet. Use about one gallon per day of water. Helps, but I still have to use an electric humidifier.

The cold air being sucked into the bottom of the insert produces a wind chill factor. If you have a furnace, the whole hose is a relatively even temperature. With a fireplace there are cold air currents from the distant parts of the house.

We have one of these hooked up to the ducts on our wood furnace:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=185806-40586-DS2001C&lpage=none

Wouldn't live without it now. The coal stove we used to have was OK on humidity, but the wood furnace sucks every bit of moisture out of you, it seems. We all had sinus infections, coughs, etc. until we hooked up the unit and let it run for a few days. Absolutely worth every penny. We used to have a "console" unit, was always a pain to get filters, fill it at least once a day, and add bacteriostat in every batch of water. This is rated to put out a bit more water, and I never have to fill it. Just drain it and clean quickly every couple weeks. The humidity is very even in the house now, as well- not the hallway turned into a swamp and the kitchen bone-dry like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.