It feels warmer when it really isn`t?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
So we have a 4 level home with the new insert in the bottom floor. Takes a long time for the heat to rise that long distance. Last year with the old dragon, stayed up and fed it for 3 nites and the difference in temp was it went from 15C to 16C upstairs-ie-burning 24/7. now that is not a huge difference in temperature, but it sure felt a whole lot warmer in the upper floors. I can add that is the reason that the wife agreed to let me purchase our new insert.

She gets up at 5:30 and says that if this new puppy even just burns till that time ,, she says mission accomplished. So why does it feel so much warmer, when you burn 24/7? I mean, this would only be about 3 degrees F? difference. but it seem like cause the floors are warm, and less humidity , there is no chill in the air?

Or are we just becoming more senile? :roll:

Anyone else experience this kinda stuff??

I would guess your on track with that. An amount of heat generated I would think does actually heat the structure of your home VS just the air. But I would guess that it would take a certain amount of BTUs to do so and overcome the cooling effect of a "cold" structure?? And beings that wood heat tends to pull the moisture out of the air, I would think would add to your warming effect??? But heck I dont know..just taking a poke at it. Surly have limited education on that subject to even really coment. I am sure one of our resident engeneers could explain further.

Sounds like the new insert is really doing a great job.I cant answer your question but i would like to know how you get your wife to help maintain the fire!next burning season will be my first full year and it would be great if my wife would help!shes afraid to handle it.

Right on. If the temperature of everything in the room is lower than the air temperature, it will take the warmth from the air to "heat it up." But once the furniture, floors, etc. are at the same temperature as the air or at the temperature you want, then you will feel warm.

Sort of like standing next to a camp fire when it is cold. Though the temperature next to the fire is up where you want, on the other side you freeze. This is an extreme example but just shows a little stronger. Hope I've worded this right to understand without getting more technical.

I think it is the senile part. :lol:

LOL! Thank you for my morning chuckle. That was good.

Keep a stick in the fire Sonny, we're all in this together. :)

There is a lot more to human comfort than air temperature! Age and even gender plays a huge part in that. I won't elaborate on those variables, but aspects like humidity and the reflectivity of the room can be huge variables. One of the reasons you feel warm next to the stove is the flood of infrared heat coming off that chunk of metal (stone?). Move the same heat upstairs without the radiant aspect, and a lot is lost. The infrared tends to leak out of the room, particularly if you have old uncoated windows. Low E glass makes a huge difference in comfort that you really can't measure with a thermometer, but many will attest to. There is also a huge difference when the humidity is low. Walk into a humidified computer room in the winter and you will swear you've walked into a sauna when it's only 68F. Air velocity can also play a factor, particularly if you have a heat pump. Even though the room is 70F+, a draft will make you feel uncomfortable.

I'm not sure exactly why Sonny's home isn't as warm with the new insert, but I'd bet it's a combination of the above factors (and maybe a little of the senility part (huge smily here). Maybe a smaller stove on an upper level in colder weather is in order? More heating hardware is ALWAYS a good idea...

Chris

I am the same age as sonnyinbc and for the first time in my life my hands and feet have been cold all Winter. The thermometer on the wall tells me one thing and my feet and hands tell me something different. Even in this cool wet Spring. I am afraid I am about to find out why all of those old people's houses were so hot all of the time.

You would think all the anti-freeze I have consumed in my life would have weatherproofed me. Or embalmed me. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
I am the same age as sonnyinbc and for the first time in my life my hands and feet have been cold all Winter. The thermometer on the wall tells me one thing and my feet and hands tell me something different. Even in this cool wet Spring. I am afraid I am about to find out why all of those old people's houses were so hot all of the time.

You would think all the anti-freeze I have consumed in my life would have weatherproofed me. Or embalmed me. ;-)

They won`t need to embalm BB when he goes, enough pickle juice in there already :p

sonnyinbc said:
BrotherBart said:

They won`t need to embalm BB when he goes, enough pickle juice in there already :p

The problem is he's been metabolizing it at the same time...

What is the heat content on Natural Lite, anyway?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.