It Was a Good Day to Cut Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
A little bit humid, but really not too bad at all.
IMG_0418%20(800x600).jpg

Quads good work, it was muggy here also.

Zap

It's always quite humid here in the summer. The last several years our summers have been extra cool though, but still humid.

I had some free time on Saturday and opted to cut up some trees that I had cut down over the winter and haul the bucked lengths to my woodpile . . . good, cool day . . . and productive to boot. No pics though.

It was hot and wet here. However there was a gentle downdraft caused by the enthusastic response from the local Mosquito population!! They did respect the spray though.

I also had to spray a couple areas with broadleaf killer. it seems liek opening up the canopy and cutting Poison Ivy vines this past winter caused a number of areas to sprout up great lawn like areas of PI!! Broad as a road and 50' long in some areas. I'm spaying now to get it subdued by fall. The coveralls, gloves, etc, are going to get a lot more washing than they used to!
Mike

No mosquitoes here, thank goodness! Some years we have a few, but not terrible. Lots of ticks, but they rarely stick in me, just crawl around on me. Most of the poison ivy isn't in the woods where I cut, it grows all around the yard/house instead! Fortunately, I am one of the few that is not allergic to it. Used to go trout fishing in it when I was a kid, barefoot in shorts, and have never had a reaction in all my life.

Man it is hot here in Pa. to hot for me to be cutting wood. I'll wait til the fall. I'm a spring and fall cutting guy.
Nice pile of wood you got there. Looks like its ready to burn now but I bet you wait for it to cool off to do that huh? ha ha You keep working like that all summer and you want need any wood for a long time.

It's been quite cool. Today it's supposed to start warming up again. I might cut some today, but probably not for the next few days after that. I cut all year, on the less humid/cooler days in the summer too. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity.

I'm always plenty far ahead. At least five years, I have 25+ cord on hand at all times, probably way over that right now. I have stacks of wood all over the place so it's hard to figure. That wood pictured won't be burned for at least three years yet, and it may eventually get sold before I ever burn it.

I burn wood all year. In the firepit during the summer. Better than watching TV!

I can feel the black flies biting my head just looking at that picture!

Uper said:
I can feel the black flies biting my head just looking at that picture!
No black flies here! Have never seen one. One year out of ten we might have a few mosquitoes, but none this year. Sometimes by the creeks we'll have deer flies, but I'm miles from any creeks. Plenty of ticks, but they don't usually bite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.