1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

It will be a long summer!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by thewoodlands, May 22, 2013.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

We had some high winds Tuesday night, I still need to check the higher areas on our property. It seemed like Mother Nature was after our Cherry trees.

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv Minister of Fire

Loc:
    west virginia
    zap every time winds get high around here cherry trees and walnut trees are first to come down for some reason
  3. thewoodlands

I think up here it's partly because of the soil.
  4. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    The Locust comes down around here first.
    Applesister likes this.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Making it a full time job to keep the trails open.
    Adding cords to the stash though.
  6. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Zap, sometimes it can be frustrating to see this kind of storm damage, but you will soon have it back in shape again.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Wow zap, you weren't kidding! Hope you can get some good milling logs out of that mess.....
    lots of good cooking/heating wood in them tops, too. Maybe I'll take a couple weeks'vacation, load up the saws, and head up to your place!!
  8. thewoodlands

LP, the best thing I can say is most of this is good firewood, we only had a couple of small basswood down.
    Bogy, I'll say (being real safe with this estimate) we have another years worth of firewood on the ground. I might need to stack some of this in rounds if I fill up the last stacking area, talking with Sav last night he gave me the idea.
    TimJ, the trees that are blocking the trails come first, next I'll grab the trees that are on the ground. Our neighbor did offer the use of the Kubota tractor on some of the Hemlock leaners.
    S.O., you would have a blast back on The Woodlands, bring the saws!
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  9. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Took a ride through my cutting woods after a week away and see there are a couple ash down from storms. One nasty hanger that I have been eyeing for two years will be in the stacks next year. Thank you Ma nature - I did not want to tackle that bugger. I also have a bunch of monster cherry that has been down for a couple years but sitting well above ground so it has been relegated to the, "I'll get to you later, reserve" With your raving about cherry heat Zap - I am bringing it all in next winter when I start cutting again.
    Backwoods Savage and zap like this.
  10. thewoodlands

You'll like the Cherry, a couple I cut up should have been milled, about a nine foot section.