It's all in the insulation . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FixedGearFlyer

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
While this is likely an obvious statement for all of you experienced folk out there, I'm hoping it might help the less experienced make good choices when spending their hard earned money.

We recently bought an old one-room school house with a 32 x 32 foundation, a block basement, a first floor living space, and a second floor uninsulated attic. The walls are 2x4 construction with R-13 fiberglass batting for insulation and the ceiling cavity between the first floor and attic was stuffed with R-19 fiberglass. We moved in during the early spring and used an insane amount of firewood and electric baseboard heat just to keep the house in the lower 60s. Our electric bills were in the $250+ range, even through the mild spring months and we burned a lot of nicely seasoned wood in the central wood furnace.

Fast forward to this fall after renovating the attic into second floor living space with 2x6 walls, new windows, a vapor/air barrier, and blown cellulose in the walls (R-19) and new attic space (R-60). A few mornings ago, we dropped into the upper 20s, had a hard frost, and woke to a 58 degree indoor temperature. I bounded down the stairs, eager to light the season's first fire in the wood furnace and threw together a top-down fire with two 6-inch splits, two or three 2-inch rounds, and some kindling, all about 18 inches long. 45 minutes later, the house was up to 80 degrees inside! With the fire damped as low as we could take it without smothering it, we got up to 83 and held it all day, though we obviously didn't add any more wood and let the fire die out. After another series of cold nights and frosts, the house never dropped below 68 degrees without any additional heat source, aside from our regular cooking activities and lightbulbs. During the day, it rose to the low 70's despite outdoor temps in the 40s and 50s, again without any dedicated heat source.

Forgetting the cost of the renovations aside from the insulation, and even knocking out the cost of insulating the walls since most houses aren't torn down to bare studs for easy wall access, the best investment we've made in our heating system is the cellulose attic insulation, which we subbed out for $800, including proper vents, prep, and 20 inches of insulation for a final, settled R-value of R-60. Even with the addition of almost 1000 square feet of living space, capping our house with better insulation appears to have dramatically improved our efficiency.

New stove? New furnace? Better insulation up top? The last one gets my vote as long as your heat source is serviceable.

Just to make sure I understand, you took the attic and installed a vapor barrier + r-60 wall-insulation + drywall against the new studding, sealed everything up, and bam!

That's pretty cool :)

Congratulations on a job well done. It will pay off 365 days of the year for the life of the house. That's a great investment and you get all the benefits.

Er. No.

Attic was 1000 sq ft of open space with bare exterior 2x4 stud walls when we bought it. We furred the walls out to 2x6 depth and had Nu Wool wall seal cellulose blown into the wall cavities for R-19. Then we hung and taped 6 mil poly sheeting on the exterior walls and on the ceiling as a vapor/air infiltration barrier, put up tongue and groove pine, and had the insulation contractor come back out to blow loose fill cellulose in the attic to R-60.

An R-60 wall would be one heck of a trick . . .

The point was simply: "If you want to improve your heating bills, consider throwing some additional insulation in your attic before you run out and buy a new stove or furnace. It makes a huge difference and has the biggest, quickest return on investment."

so now youre runnning a hot roof? sorry, just curious since I am running a hot roof (no air space) and have considered building an air space...

Good question. No, we have plenty of airspace and ventilation in the 'new' attic space. The 'old' attic space that we turned into living and sleeping areas had about 7 1/2 feet of headroom to the bottom of the trusses and plenty of open truss space above that. In the 'new' attic space, we added vents to each gable end, soffit vents along the length of each soffit, and proper vent channels to keep the insulation from closing off the soffit ventilation when it was blown in. I'm hoping we don't have any issues with a hot roof or ice damming, but it's our first winter in the house, so we'll have to see . . .

One of the best bits of advice I got here early on when I was looking at woodstoves was to spend money up front insulating a home and buttoning up things . . . otherwise you're wasting wood and heat if a lot of it is just simply going outside.

I burned 7 cords of wood when I first moved into my home. Since replacing windows, and insulating beneath and above I am down to less than 5. What I really appreciate is the comfort and erduced swings in temperature.

I have also noticed that I can warm the whole house up a few degrees by baking cookies. Cookie consumption has increased dramatically.

FixedGearFlyer, you are right on with the insulation. It can be costly but will pay you back in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.