It's coming soon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
For the snow weary eyes back east, here are some signs that spring is coming. The hummingbird feeders are as busy as SeaTac airport.

IMG_2035web.jpg IMG_2037web.jpg IMG_2038web.jpg IMG_2040web.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile no temps above freezing for the foreseeable future. By Sunday our high here on LI is supposed to be 12 with low overnight of 0. That's pretty cold for us.

Broke freezing here today but the predicted low tonight is single digits and tomorrow's high is only expected to be mid-20s. I just love this time of year. No telling when things will settle down but by May I often need air conditioning.

That's really beautiful and I'm looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, I had to catch the bus in Portsmouth to Logan. I had to help a guy excavate his car to get a spot for mine.

I'll say this - on the bus ride down I was able to see that there's a lot of house in east MA with bad insulation.
image.jpg

Reactions: Bobbin
It was in the 20's yesterday - felt like spring. I think it was the first time in 2 weeks I drove on bare pavement stead of snow and ice.

Eked up to 35 here yesterday, and I swear I heard a tulip bulb creak to life somewhere under the feet of snow ;).

This is about the time of year I start chanting my favorite "cabin fever" poem from Robert Frost:
http://www.bartleby.com/117/9.html

Great pics. Thanks.

Came home from Caribbean Sunday. Plane landed at midnight. Snow coming down. Wife's ford Fiesta didn't quite make it up one hill on way home, pushed car 20 yards up hill at 2 am (10 hours after leaving 80 degree temps).
Shoveled the 6" of snow that fell Sunday afternoon.
Monday, 8" more snow. More shoveling of driveways (snow blowing too)
Tuesday I shoveled the two flat roof areas of the house and rental.
Today I head back to NH to see what kind of mess I have up there.

Ready for it to break. Hasn't been horrible, but it's getting to that time of year where I'm getting tired and cranky, ready for spring.

I have to say I don't miss the snow and rusted out cars one bit. If I want snow I go to the mountains. Daphne started blooming today. The aroma is intoxicating.

Last edited:
I was out on my daily "forced march" today (3 miles=1 hr.) and the road is how I imagine the Colorado River is in the deepest canyons. It was a bracing 19F with no wind. The ocean was beautiful with light snow falling. But! I know spring will eventually arrive here, the gallium, crocus, and narcissus will poke through the ground and all out old perennial friends will return. So, I'm OK with our present circumstances... good thing! more of same due in Saturday night...

I have to say I don't miss the snow and rusted out cars one bit. If I want snow I go to the mountains. Daphne started blooming today. The aroma is intoxicating.
I grew up in Richmond BC and have good memories but I dont miss the grey, rainy winter days, day after day, week after week. That and the winter humidity was a drag. Dont get me wrong I can see why people choose the west coast climate but I much prefer a clear rocky mountain winter day at -20 c and the distinct seasons that we get here (lived here for 17 years now). I guess thats why there is a place for everyone! Love the pictures though! I love gardening but our zone 3.5 can be trying at times. I think you are a 9 or an 11?

Some years like 2010 can be really grey. Then it's a drag. Not so at all this year. We're a bit south of there and in a local microclimate that stays warmer in the winter and drier than even Seattle. There's even a banana plant in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.