It's great to be making firewood again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
...after an October and November full of hunting seasons! I've been selling quite a bit, and now I can start filling my stacks back up to season for future sales.

But first, according to the owner's manual for my new MS290, I have to change my saw from summertime:
IMG_9916%20(800x600).jpg

To wintertime. My old 026 saws don't have that feature. 2 months ago, the last time I cut firewood, it was above 50°, but not anymore!
IMG_9918%20(800x600).jpg

Everything all loaded up and ready to go:
IMG_9919%20(800x600).jpg

The first target, a dead Red Pine. Pine is by special order only, and this is a custom order for a customer in one of the county parks. He has been waiting for it:
IMG_9920%20(800x600).jpg

All cut up:
IMG_9921%20(800x600).jpg

Split and ready to load on the trailer, if I can get Snoopy out of the way:
IMG_9922%20(800x600).jpg

In the meantime, one of my woodland buddies came up to me wondering where I've been:
IMG_9923%20(800x600).jpg

That's my shoe he is sniffing, I assume to make sure it was really me:
IMG_9928%20(800x600).jpg

Loaded up and ready to head back home:
IMG_9931%20(800x600).jpg

Transferred to my delivery truck, going to make another camper happy (or a happy camper)!
IMG_9933%20(800x600).jpg

Quads looks like you had a great day for cutting, great pictures. Rifle season in our region ends this weekend.

zap

Awesome Pic's!

Quads - WHat?! Where?? I read the manual for my new ms290, and I didnt see that. What,exactly, should I do to winterize my 290?

wood-fan-atic said:
Quads - WHat?! Where?? I read the manual for my new ms290, and I didnt see that. What,exactly, should I do to winterize my 290?

Page 33-34.

zap

Finally! Great pics quads' I'm surprised you weren't calling that black pine instead of red pine! :lol:

great, i missed your pics, by the way what did you shoot? Or were you waiting for the woods to clear of hunters or both?

Yes Danno, our beagle's name really is Snoopy! And we have a yellow lab named Goldie.

Ha, black pine! I'm sure someday they will change the name of it, like they did with the red oak around here. Although, some refer to red pine as norway pine or plantation pine.

I don't go hunting anymore, but the neighbors shot some nice bucks this year. I didn't recognize any of the bucks though; I pretty much know all the 'native' ones. I was just waiting for them to get done with their bow hunting and then the nine day gun hunt ended yesterday.

Good to hear you are back out cutting quads. It looks like you and I have to hold down the fort when it comes to cutting during the winter months. lol

EDIT: Yes, I did the winter switch on my saw too.

just changed mine yesterday. i love that you hand split all that wood. gives me some motivation. i love to hand split.

It's nice to see you back from your "vacation"! All we've been seeing lately is Zap gloating! ;-)

Damn, another 20 years till retirement; 17 on the mortGAGe and we're off this over-crowded-sand-barge !!

Nice pictures. Are you sure Snoppy doesn't have a pet hampster named Woodstock?

Quads,
Great pics! Looks like the pine is a managed planting. Two questions(not to steal your thread): What length bar did you get on the Stihl MS 290? What temp would be necessary and for what duration, to freeze the rounds for easier splitting?
Thanks
Tom

jensent said:
Quads,
Great pics! Looks like the pine is a managed planting. Two questions(not to steal your thread): What length bar did you get on the Stihl MS 290? What temp would be necessary and for what duration, to freeze the rounds for easier splitting?
Thanks
Tom
Yes, that is a plantation. They were planted 50+ years ago.

My MS290 came with an 18" bar, 3/8. I always ran .325 on my 026 saws so wanted the same on the MS290 (I have spares that I could make use of on the 290) but the day I bought the 290 the dealer was out of the .325 sprocket/clutch bell to fit it.

I don't worry about whether rounds are frozen or not, since I make firewood all year long anyway and I split it as I cut it. But, I guess that 30° for 48 hours would freeze an 18" round all the way through. Regardless though, I don't notice much difference (if any) splitting rounds that are frozen as opposed to summertime splitting.

Hey, Quads - was missing' your posts! Glad to see you are back in the woods again.

Is it just me or is it simply amazing how that Fiskars seems to jump up top of those piles for every one of your pictures? Standing proud there, isn't it? :)

Shari

Shari said:
Hey, Quads - was missing' your posts! Glad to see you are back in the woods again.

Is it just me or is it simply amazing how that Fiskars seems to jump up top of those piles for every one of your pictures? Standing proud there, isn't it? :)

Shari
Thanks Shari!

Yes, absolutely amazing! I have to keep an eye on that thing or it might walk away, all by itself.

Cool Quads

Glad to see ya back in the woods. I don't hunt either but I do take my Dad up hunting. But it drives me nuts staying out of the woods and being quiet when I am up there. And I can't stand listening to my Uncles and cousins cry because I am scaring the deer. They won't belive me when I tell them I don't scare them in fact they follow me around!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
They won't belive me when I tell them I don't scare them in fact they follow me around!

Billy

I don't know how or why - but the deer know. Around my parts a few years ago, we had a trophy that had been running around for a few years. A very skiddish critter, but for some reason came with in stone throwing distance to me at 3 different times. Once, right in my own yard. Weird.

Quads - glad to see your back on top of the game. Snoopy looks like he is having fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.