1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We did not put any wood in the stove for overnight as it only got down to 32 last night. House was 70 this morning. Put in 2 splits and a small ugly and it started right off.
    tfdchief likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    If that's the case I'm in trouble, I'm going to be 34 in a few weeks and I already can't stand the cold and it isn't even that cold yet. !!!

Since it's Saturday I've been burning all day so currently in the too hot mode. Living room which is usually the coldest on the first floor is 84. I like 77 personally, the wife well it depends on the time of the month ::P. It's one of the reasons I decided to switch to wood. It's nice being too hot in the winter and getting under $150 electric bill as opposed to cold and getting a $300 dollar electric bil or getting a $300 propane bill every two months. Blankets used to be common, now only the cat uses them.
  3. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I told my buddy the other day who keeps his natural gas stat between 64-68 "your paying to be cold", you should have seen how he looked at me. He asked " well how warm is your house with the wood" I said anywhere between 70 and 78, his jaw dropped. This is the same buddy that gave me almost two face of oak.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Describe the space heated please.
  5. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Dennis, You lucky dawg. 2 to 3 splits a night is a good problem to have. I think my newer 25 year old house is drafty and I go through easily 10 splits a day. At the price I am heating my house i cant really complaint. Stay warm Dennis. Regards to the missus from my missus. Weird how on random days she will ask about you and your wife. Nurses.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

You know Dennis I did the same darn thing this afternoon ! I put 4 small splits in the house was 67 F an hour later it was 77 F the stove was 525 F and I was sweating lol.

Pete
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    I'm in the computer room right now playing some BF3 and I have a window open in here! The room is just off the living room where the stove is located and it's 82° in here, the rest of the house is about 75°. This stove really cranks out the heat, and it holds heat a lot longer than the old Efel that's for sure. I loaded the stove yesterday about 4:00 PM and when I woke up this morning I was still able to load some wood on the coals and crank another fire, that's pretty impressive!
    n3pro likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Typical, it is air space surrounded by walls and it also has furniture and people. A tad under 1400 sq ft. Good insulation, new doors and windows last year.