It's that time of year....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those darn fall weather cutters are competition for us year-round scroungers. This is a tough time of year to scrounge firewood. In the spring nobody else but me wants wood.
Thats to our advantage, thats when I get 90% of my wood, I see some pellet converts trying to get $300 cord for their seasoned wood right now on CL

Yes, you buy em books and send them to school and they eat the pages... ;)[/quote]

I think I have a new favorite saying.:)

And when they finally do get the green wood split and stacked they wrap it up tight with tarps covering all sides and bungee cords holding it in place. Gotta keep it dry, ya know....

Reactions: swagler85
Yesterday on my way home from work I saw a big section of an ash laying near the road on the edge of someone's property, so I figured I'd be a good guy and gave my bil a heads up an told him he should go ask if he can cut it up and take it, he said he had plans for the weekend and he had enough for a little while, lol oh well buddy, I gave him a shot but works for me, I'd love to increase the ash in my stash

This past Sunday two of my buddies joined me to cut
down some wood on my land. Ended up getting close to two cords of wood
bucked up and hauled home . . . wood that will be
burned in Year 2015-2016.

While doing this I drove by my brother's place . . . as he was bucking up and splitting wood and then stacking it in an indoors woodshed he built on his house. Yeah . . . I imagine the fire department will be visiting him at some point this year . . . and there's a pretty good chance he may find some bugs and moisture issues in his new addition.

I have basically given up discussing the whole burning subject with most people around here, religion and politics are easier to talk about!

Reactions: Gark and swagler85
Until recently, my work scedule for the past 6 years was 7am - 11:30pm....I would do my C/S/S on weekends, or any days off. the problem I've been experiencing is actually finding free wood.....most tree companies take it to sell it, or the customer is keeping it....but I do get a hit once in a while. I do have 14 trees I need to have taken down (Maple and Ash), but they are beyond my skills, so gotta hire someone, and $$$ are harder to come by.

I just nod my head as I read the original post. A buddy stops over last weekend to borrow my hyd splitter and as we walk past my wood stash for this year "oh, there are 4 rows there?" I said yes, remember when I called/emailed you last winter to go wood hunting and you never responded? This is a product of that wood... He is borrowing my splitter to split a freshly cut cherry tree. I told him he can have a couple wheel barrel full of my dry stuff but recommended trying to find some "seasoned" wood and offered him my moisture meter for testing. Yes, you buy em books and send them to school and they eat the pages... ;)

Today has been a good day . . . another favorite quote to add to my signature line . . . this is classic!!!!

Those darn fall weather cutters are competition for us year-round scroungers. This is a tough time of year to scrounge firewood. In the spring nobody else but me wants wood.

Very true, see truckloads of wood all over this time of year

I have basically given up discussing the whole burning subject with most people around here, religion and politics are easier to talk about!
Wow so true

Today has been a good day . . . another favorite quote to add to my signature line . . . this is classic!!!!

Hah! I owe my dad for that quote. I wonder if he was talking about me all those years while growing up? Hmmmm kind of makes sense now. hehehe

Reactions: cygnus
HOLY CATS, DUDE!!! _g
That doesn't include the twice a month 13 hour Sunday and or Saturday....2 jobs, niether of them hard labor....and I liked what i was doing. My point being, even I found time to get it done.....if I could find the wood

my neighbor is cutting RED OAK !!! fore this winter i told him if he gives me a courd of that then i will give him a cord of dry wood. but he sed that he always gets thru the winter like this. he is a new neighbor so i showed him my stove and home his first words were wow it is nice and warm in here i sed yea the wood stove is at 500 and secondaries are going strong he has the same stove well after he saw clean glass he sed he will buy 2 cords i sold them fore 200 a cord and then i saw him cutting some popular spiting it and stacking in a single row so maby he learned a good lesson :)

Reactions: Beer Belly
My BIL is about as useful as a box of rocks....he doesn't understand at all why I split and season. He claims his OWB is "designed" to burn green rounds. "that way they smoulder and throw off the heat longer". Glad he lives a couple towns away from me. While we were both cutting wood off my land I convinced him to take the standing dead rounds (mostly elm and poppel) while I took the green stuff (hard maple, hickory, beech) that way his wood was a little drier and he didn't have to work as hard as me with the tops ;).

The firewood market has been very slow in this area this Fall, possibly in part to such a warm winter last year. Log length on the landing is about $60 per cord - neighbor decided he can afford to stockpile it rather than sell at those prices. We had our coldest night last night, so it will be interesting to see the affect on the market.

I actually welcome the unprepared at the woodlot/tree service dumping lot.

When the weather service predicts the first real cold front I see the SUV's with 4x6' trailers, guys fighting dull chains on pullon's and craftsmans.
They resolve to cutting the smaller limbs and tops leaving all the 16"+ logs for me:)

Last winter I was done c/s 2 loads one on the truck and one load for later that afternoon, the property owner who's retired and likes to come bs with me for a while states: "you must think its gonna be gettin cold with those two loads of oak there" I just chuckled and said if I knew how cold it will be 3yrs from now I'd let know

OK I am one of those guys getting my wood now. Cut me a little slack. My insert is getting installed in two days. Made my decision to buy late in the season and dragged my feet a little choosing a wood dealer. I think I got some decent stuff. I plan on working on my stacks for the upcoming years through this winter. Storage is also an issue for some. I am guessing I can find room for about 7 cords without the wife freaking out too much.

I have about 2 cords on hand now and have 2 more coming on the day of the install. Can't wait to warm up!

Reactions: osagebow
My BIL is about as useful as a box of rocks....he doesn't understand at all why I split and season. He claims his OWB is "designed" to burn green rounds. "that way they smoulder and throw off the heat longer". Glad he lives a couple towns away from me. While we were both cutting wood off my land I convinced him to take the standing dead rounds (mostly elm and poppel) while I took the green stuff (hard maple, hickory, beech) that way his wood was a little drier and he didn't have to work as hard as me with the tops ;).

mighty considerate !;)

OK I am one of those guys getting my wood now. Cut me a little slack. My insert is getting installed in two days. Made my decision to buy late in the season and dragged my feet a little choosing a wood dealer. I think I got some decent stuff. I plan on working on my stacks for the upcoming years through this winter. Storage is also an issue for some. I am guessing I can find room for about 7 cords without the wife freaking out too much.

freddypd make shore you check your chimney a lot and brush as necessary ps what type of insert is it

I have about 2 cords on hand now and have 2 more coming on the day of the install. Can't wait to warm up!
All of us did that at least the first year we burned. Not trying to give you a hard time. Its the people that refuse to listen and keep burning wood that isn't seasoned, and also the people that had a burner for years and still wait until last minute to go cut.

All of us did that at least the first year we burned. Not trying to give you a hard time. Its the people that refuse to listen and keep burning wood that isn't seasoned, and also the people that had a burner for years and still wait until last minute to go cut.
Yep we will give you slack this year but no more slack for you after that.

freddypd make shore you check your chimney a lot and brush as necessary ps what type of insert is it
It is a Fireplace Xtrodinair Large Hybrid. I plan on doing a post on it after it is installed. I will include pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.