1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

"It's the "WOOD" STUPID"

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bogydave, Nov 26, 2010.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    If I've learned anything here,
    the wood (fuel) is the Number 1 key to good , efficient, successful wood burning.
    As in almost every topic dealing with some problem with wood stoves, the most common problem is the wood is not seasoned (dry)
    So when I have problems with my stove: creosote issues, smoke issues, temperature issues, and others ,
    I say to my self "It's the Wood stupid"
    & most times I'm on the right track.

So if you are having any burning issues, start with "It's the wood"
    Not seasoned (to much moisture) is the most common one.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Dave, I couldn't agree more! How is that back coming along? I know you've been suffering a bit.
  3. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv Minister of Fire

Loc:
    west virginia
    am i the only idiot that still burns some green wood?..i dont have a epa stove i have an old 81 shenendoah insert ...i burn about 1 truckload of green to every 4 truck loads of dry seasoned wood....i never load my firebox up with just green wood...i put a piece on about every reload...or when the house gets too hot and i dont want the fire to go out i just burn a piece of green wood or 2...
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Modern stoves get a bellyache when they are fed green wood. My old Resolute and the Jotul didn't like it either.

How often do you need to clean the flue and how much creosote comes out?
  5. steeltowninwv

Loc:
    west virginia
    i dont do heights...had the chimney sweep guy out here about a month ago....he asked if i had even burned it since last time he cleaned it..he said he would run the brush down and get the cob webs for me..he says creosote doesnt stick to the ss liners very well
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

I have never seen any good reason for burning green wood. To burn it right you have to send too much heat up the chimney. Better to burn good dry wood because you get more heat and everything stays cleaner.

As for the sweep, we do it ourselves because we can do it as well as any sweep. As for needing sweeping, although we used to have to clean our chimney multiple times during the winter, with the new stove we have cleaned it one time so far and we are into our 4th year with this stove.
  7. steeltowninwv

Loc:
    west virginia
    a new stove is on the horizon for me..maybe spring or summer