It's time all you Progress owners!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qain

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
Western MD
Ok, the cold is here, fire them up, lets see what they can do! I ordered mine, and it should be here in two weeks, come on, I want to see what kind of legs these babies have.

15 degrees, 10 mph wind out of the north, 3/4 load of oak, ash, hedge at 700 am, stove top now 250, stove room 82, rest of house 70-75, not bad for 11 hours

chipsoflyin said:
15 degrees, 10 mph wind out of the north, 3/4 load of oak, ash, hedge at 700 am, stove top now 250, stove room 82, rest of house 70-75, not bad for 11 hours

Sounds good! I've been waiting for a performance thread for the new Woodstock stove. How many sq' are you heating?

The stove room is about 10* too hot for me but that's obviously a personal preference, I just wonder how much longer it would burn if the stove room was kept at 70* or so.

These results were with the air completely closed, for colder room temps we would use less wood/different species. We're heating 2200 sq ft

chipsoflyin said:
These results were with the air completely closed, for colder room temps we would use less wood/different species. We're heating 2200 sq ft

WOW, if that's the room temp at the end of the burn I'd hate to think how hot it got when the stove top was up to temp! This new stove can really throw some heat. Is the house insulated pretty good?

The stove room/kitchen will ramp up over the course of the burn to 85-87 when the secondaries are active, which can be petty uncomfortable if any length of time is spent in there,once they die down the temps moderate. We are usually on the tail end of the burn during dinner. The rest of the house is nice though. The house is well insulated as it was intended for a geothermal heat pump.

Low in the low teens last night. Loaded about 70% full of ash at 8:30 pm. When I woke up at 7:00 am, the stove top was still at 300 and there was still a chunk of wood in the back of the stove. That was with the draft just opened slightly. House was at 68. I'm heating 1,700 square-feet with cathedral ceilings and some draft issues. My house is very open and the only issue I have with overheating is the loft room directly above the stove room.

I have a themometer that shows the low and high over the previous 24 hours. I check it everyday, and I swear the lows and highs have been between 67 and 73 everyday for over a month.

Low last night 1F, medium winds from the north. High today was 14F, low 0 tonight predicted. Heating 3,800 sq ft, plus 2 story stove room. and a houes full of north facing windows (how's that for an unfriendly to heat house?). House was a comfortable 67 when we went to bed, loaded last night full around 8 pm, reloaed this morning at 8 am. Ran with the air closed all the way down. House was 62F and the furnace did not run through the night. The stove was about 290. Kicked furnace on to 66 then rolled it back to 60 and it didn't run again today. Tonight looks to be a repeat.

Stove is doing great! Everybody here is very impressed. The fireview would have had the furnace going off and on throughout the day at these temps. My stove top temps range from 370-450, not much higher when I have it closed all the way down.

My stove top temps range from 370-450, not much higher when I have it closed all the way down.

I find similiar results if I close it all the way down. I can't explain it, but it sure seems like the Progress at 450 is throwing a lot more heat than other stoves at that temp. I'm just basing that of all the comments of the houses people are heating and their stove temps, so I don't know for sure.

WarmInIowa said:
Low last night 1F, medium winds from the north. High today was 14F, low 0 tonight predicted. Heating 3,800 sq ft, plus 2 story stove room. and a houes full of north facing windows (how's that for an unfriendly to heat house?). House was a comfortable 67 when we went to bed, loaded last night full around 8 pm, reloaed this morning at 8 am. Ran with the air closed all the way down. House was 62F and the furnace did not run through the night. The stove was about 290. Kicked furnace on to 66 then rolled it back to 60 and it didn't run again today. Tonight looks to be a repeat.

Stove is doing great! Everybody here is very impressed. The fireview would have had the furnace going off and on throughout the day at these temps. My stove top temps range from 370-450, not much higher when I have it closed all the way down.

Are you burning your stove hotter during the day or more of a 12 hour burning schedule? I would think with 3800 sq ft you would have to load that stove 3-4 times per day and burn it hot?

postpics.gif

I really think these are neat stoves...they've got looks, burn times, low emissions...I ALMOST wish I knew about them before I bought the Republic.

Todd said:
WarmInIowa said:

Are you burning your stove hotter during the day or more of a 12 hour burning schedule? I would think with 3800 sq ft you would have to load that stove 3-4 times per day and burn it hot?
I've not been home enough to fiddle, so I did two and a half loads - meaning I added a three chunks of wood halfway through a burn cycle in the afternoon.

I'm coming to this from a pre-EPA stove background. We ran the old stove hard, and it cranked out the heat, but needed constant tending (hourly add more wood, damper opened, damper closed, damper closed fast, ...). This stove is very different - much, much less volatile, with a very steady, lasting burn.

3,500 sq ft, some insulation, uninsulated walk-out basement. 32' 6" insulated liner, ample draft. Wood cut and split 2 years ago (but less than ideal due to damp summer/fall).

Stove partway through a 75% load of red maple at midnight, stovetop at 520 degrees. This morning 10 degrees outside at 8am, nice bed of coals, but stovetop down around 150 degrees.

Not too much stove for the house. Doing mostly secondary burns in this cooler weather, which is why it burned down so much since midnight (draft set at about 1/8th open).

No issues with smoke spillage at all.

Very pleased, but still learning it. I think we are warmer/more comfortable throughout the house. We can get the kitchen too warm in warmer weather, but only becaue we didn't set the controls wisely when we reloaded.

Considering a flue damper (had two cat-only burns of a 75% full load that went up to 700, after a couple of hours, before the secondaries lit off and brought the cat temp down). Not a concern right now, as we are expecting a high of 17 and a low around zero today, so we will be in secondaries mode.

Still amazed at 400 degree flue temps (our way of determining if we were pushing the old stove hard enough was aiming for 900 degree flue temps all day long). I'm sure we will either be warmer or burn less wood, but still too early to say, given that we are still learning the stove and the variability of the weather.

And a picture from the best seat in the house...

Attachments

• DSC00585b.jpg
    DSC00585b.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 429
Flamestead said:
And a picture from the best seat in the house...

Oooh Flamestead looks like we have similar houses but yours is much bigger - 9 fireplaces! We have the same wide board (chestnut?) wainscut and flooring, house built 1758.

Love your Progress - we just bought house so budget required a refurb of a Fireview 201 for this year but if we settle well into burning wood a Progress may be in our future! :)

Lessee some more pictures, folks!!!!

Single digits here, circa 1805, 2400 square feet of drafty farmhouse. I've been running pretty full loads at 450 - 550 stove top temps, 4 - 6 hour burns. Most of the house is quite comfortable (have bedrooms closed off for the day) and the 2 coldest rooms, tho at 60 °F, feel comfy (baffles me, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it ;-)). Was away for 2 days, just got back yesterday afternoon, so playing catch up. Still, I LOVE this stove, she's a marvel as well as a beauty and I couldn't be happier.

I’ve been running pretty full loads at 450 - 550 stove top temps, 4 - 6 hour burns.

Hey HH. What kind of wood are you burning and what are your reload temps? I only asked because I can't imagine going throug that much wood that fast.

Wow...9 fireplaces! LOVE that wallpaper.

Seems like these are popular with the old house crowd too, lots of great sounding old homes!

Waulie said:
I’ve been running pretty full loads at 450 - 550 stove top temps, 4 - 6 hour burns.

Hey HH. What kind of wood are you burning and what are your reload temps? I only asked because I can't imagine going throug that much wood that fast.

Hey, Waulie. My wood is a hodge-podge. Lots of maple (silver), elm, some ash, locust, birch, some I can't identify. I reload between 350 - 400 during the day. First load of the morning, usually after 9 hours or so, temp around 150 -200 range. Yeah, I know, my experience doesn't seem to quite jive with what others are getting, not sure why. Could well be operator error, I'm a newbie, although I'm starting to feel more comfortable with it and loading it up more than I used to. Also, wood, while 2 years seasoned, is a mix and cut into odd sizes (lots of chunks and uglies). Also, I'm still getting the smoke smell and have yet to get my door regasketted for the umpteenth time (waiting for some warmer weather, as they want the stove to be out of commission for 24 hours after regasketting). Also, I've got the double wall pipe which has caused me problems. I let the installers bring their own pipe instead of getting it from WS. BIG mistake. I'm also prolly pushing the stove more than most have to, given the sieve-like quality of my walls, doors, and windows. Lots of variables, little experience to figure it out.

Sounds like you've got it figured out, HH. With a bit less wood of a lower BTU, those results don't sound too off. If your gasket is letting in a bit of air, that could reduce your burn time and with your heating needs, I could see it. Don't be afraid to stuff her full! Everything seems to be well under control for you.

HollowHill said:
Waulie said:

Hey, Waulie. My wood is a hodge-podge. Lots of maple (silver), elm, some ash, locust, birch, some I can't identify. I reload between 350 - 400 during the day. First load of the morning, usually after 9 hours or so, temp around 150 -200 range. Yeah, I know, my experience doesn't seem to quite jive with what others are getting, not sure why. Could well be operator error, I'm a newbie, although I'm starting to feel more comfortable with it and loading it up more than I used to. Also, wood, while 2 years seasoned, is a mix and cut into odd sizes (lots of chunks and uglies). Also, I'm still getting the smoke smell and have yet to get my door regasketted for the umpteenth time (waiting for some warmer weather, as they want the stove to be out of commission for 24 hours after regasketting). Also, I've got the double wall pipe which has caused me problems. I let the installers bring their own pipe instead of getting it from WS. BIG mistake. I'm also prolly pushing the stove more than most have to, given the sieve-like quality of my walls, doors, and windows. Lots of variables, little experience to figure it out.

I'm a newbie too and have the 201 fireview and a harman xxv pellet stove in my 1758 house (2100 sf and 3 fp openings) and our temps and reloads are probably similar. I've been plugging up air drafts like a madwoman - moretite is my friend, lol.

Mary

Pics people, pics!! Post up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.