1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Itty Bitty Splitty Commitee

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Bster13, May 9, 2013.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice stacks.
    Is that your compost bin?

I have a mix of sizes.
    Working at getting 3 years ahead so even the larger pieces have time to season & dry well.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Some of the stuff I've stacked lately, I'm now wishing I'd split smaller. They didn't look that big when I was splitting but in the stack they look huge. When I started reading here, there was much talk of "big splits, long burn." But I'm finding the same thing that others have mentioned in this thread; With the air cut back, I can get a plenty long burn with any size splits.
    Bster, what's in the other stacks you split earlier? If that's Oak too, keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground for some soft Maple. There's still time to get it dry by fall if you can score some and split size isn't too big. Just got a call from a guy I scored some Silver Maple from a couple months ago. He's got more (Silver, I think)...going over there to check it out now. :cool:
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just a follow up on Woody's post. Soft maple would be great. You could cut it in May and burn it the following fall. It dries fast even if not split!
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    Unfortunately I'm at my storage limit and my wife's limit too, haha. I have lots of Oak, but other stuff too, I'll just have to pick through it as I go. Once I finish splitting what I have in rounds though I'm going to go through my stacks and resplit the heck out of everything to let it dry as much as possible.

Not a compost bin...ummm...I actually can't recall what's in there. Haha.