1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I've gone a little scrounging happy aka Who the heck needs 10+ cords of wood in GA?!?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by drdoct, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    I hate working during the summer. So I hired a guy to help me and paid him $6/hr to stack and handle some wood today. I've been splitting the stuff the city dropped off and had accumulated quite a pile but was only about half way done. Turns out I had much more than I thought. We started another row of pallets the same length as the original run (8-4X4ft pallets, not standard GMA ones) and ended up having to stack a little over 5' because we didn't have any more pallets. So after 6 hours of work we worked around 4 cords per my measurements but that was just the easy to split stuff. I've still got another 2 or 3 cords in logs and big rounds. I'm thinking I have enough wood for the next 3 years or more now. I'm going to only work wood during the winter from now on though because I really hate ants and other creepie crawlers. I've got to come up with a better way of stacking though. On a bright note, everything is drying out nicely on the stuff I processed last winter and will be ready by burning time.

Anyway, I'm Doc and I'm a scrounging addict. I promise not to take any more wood until I get the rest of this processed. (fingers crossed).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    10 cords in GA. sounds like its time to sell a few face cords
  3. pulldownclaw

pulldownclaw New Member

Loc:
    Richmond, Va
    Doc, I got the same problem. Not quite as far ahead as you, but 5 cords split and stacked, with probably another 5 laying around ready to be processed. I wish I had a splitter, things would be easier. My problem is I can't turn down free wood! I keep promising myself and the wife I won't accept anymore until I get what I have processed, but then here comes the tree guys one block over taking down a big maple. "Hey, some maple would be nice to have since I've got a lot of oak, and that takes a long time to season". And that's how it starts. How can you turn down wood when they'll drop it off at my curb? I swear, it's not my fault!!!!

:)
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Doc, 10 cords in Georgia sounds about right to me. After that wood gets good and dry you will then really appreciate what dry seasoned wood will do for you.

Now that you are a couple years ahead on wood, just get enough wood for a year each year from now on so you always have good dry wood to burn.

Or should I ask if 30 cords of wood on hand is too much in Michigan?
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

30 cords sounds like a good #
  6. Archie

Archie Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I'd sure like to know how to get someone to work for me for $6 / hr... ;-) Happy days!
  7. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    10 cords in Georgia. Sounds like a song title.
  8. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    ( to the tune "a rainy night in Georgia" - Brook Benton )

It's a 10 cord night in Georgia
    JUUUst a 10 cord night in Georgia
    It seems like 10 cords all over my yarrrrd!
    :coolsmile:
  9. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    It's easy down here... it's called Alcoholic in a recession :). We ain't hiring rocket scientists here ya know!
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Or to the tune of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down:

The Night They Chopped Old Dixie Down,
    and the saws were singin
    The Night They Chopped Old Dixie Down,
    and the mauls were swingin'.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.