I've Hit a Snag - Insurance Co & Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I've hit a snag with my stove install. The insurance co is saying I have to have 36 inches clearance to the back of the stove.

Further, they say on the non-loading side of the stove, the hearth needs to stick out 18 inches from the stove all around!

My Woodstock manual says with heat shield, 15 inches from the rear of the stove (30 inches without) and 8 inches on the hearth around the non-loading door sides of the stove.

I've asked the insurance agent to re-check and given them copies of the Woodstock info - fingers crossed.

If they come back and tell me the large clearances are the rule, I think it might be time to find another insurance carrier.

What kind of reception did you get with your woodstove install from your insurance company and can anyone recommend a "woodstove friendly" insurance company?

Thanks!
Bill

They are just using the generic, undocumented testing specs for a pre-EPA stove. Manufacturer's documented testing trumps this.

+ 1 on this... I'm lead to believe they are using old data. My mother was in the insurance industry for 30+ yrs. They see everything from the worst possible angle and everyone is going to cause an accident or fire or.... So when you buy your materials for the heat shield make sure you buy the stuff that is one better than what you need. Do the install beyond the minimum, or plus what is requierd. The issue of the company it self probably will not help much, their mind set will most likely be similar.

As BG said they're going with the standard 36-inch clearance answer . . . submitting the manufacturer's specs should make the 36 inch figure a moot point . . . but if they still give you grief then you can shop around . . . I suspect it will be a non-issue.

Yes, shop around.

And, I have found in my own battle of this nature with insurance companies that paying a certified WETT installer sign off on your installation.

Smart insurance companies who know the real world of wood stove installation as compared to the paperwork side of wood heat are going to listen to a certified WETT installer.

I have State Farm, I called them after my install was complete and they just came out and took some pictures and measurements to put on file so that if there was an issue they had proof that the install was to manufactures specs, no change in policy or premium.

Update - talked in person with the insurance rep, showed them my stove manual and the clearances in it and explained the stove was NOT some garage made stove slapped together from scrap steel plate and after a call to the insurance company I am now allowed to install the stove per the manual.

Yipieeeeee!

Thanks,
Bill

I have AMICA as my insurance co. All they wanted for my Fireview installation was a copy of the signed building inspector's form verifying inspection. The building inspector looked at the Fireview's owner's manual and used the listed clearance requirements to make some measurements. Bummer how some Insurance Companies make you jump thru the extra hoops.

When we moved in they took a picture of the existing insert and a picture of some broken roof tiles, and the barn that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.