Jags homebuilt splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
A couple of requests for additional pics of my home built splitter has been made, so to not hijack a different thread I will start this one. I choose the wood shed forum instead of the equipment forum because the request was made from the wood shed. (Mods - feel free to move if necessary).
Its just a splitter. I am not a professional anything when it comes to metal work. Just an old farm boy that can stick stuff together.

A few specs:
8hp Briggs
16 GMP pump
5" x 24" ram.
1500# utility winch (12V)

Most interest seems to revolve around the log lift. The work table slides into the lift for easy removal. Winch is a power in/power out and I have never even came close to wearing a battery out in a days work. The lift goes from ground to level in 3 seconds.

Total cost for the stuff I had to buy was less than $600. The rest was stuff I had.

Attachments

• 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 005sm.jpg
    005sm.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 100_1543sm.jpg
    100_1543sm.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 100_1545sm.jpg
    100_1545sm.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,129
i especially like the color....nothing says "power" like that safety green/yellow.

Delta-T said:
i especially like the color....nothing says "power" like that safety green/yellow.

It is the only thing I have of that color - so its easy to find in the shed. :lol:

That is Awesome I know I have seen it many time, But it doesnt get old!

smokinjay said:

Yeah - some of the old timers around here are probably getting tired of my random splitter pics. :lol:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Yeah - some of the old timers around here are probably getting tired of my random splitter pics. :lol:

I'm not an old timer here and I'm not tired of them. How bout some links to the older ones. Great looking setup.

Never mind, just found the pics in the original thread.

WoodpileOCD said:
How bout some links to the older ones.

They would be some of the same pics posted above. Here is a couple more:

Attachments

• 100_1036med.jpg
    100_1036med.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 1035small.jpg
    1035small.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • easy1.jpg
    easy1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,060
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Oh it is that nice!

This machine is probably a bit bigger than it may appear. To give a prospective of size - it sits at a touch over 5ft wide and is about 7ft long. The oil tank will hold more than 15 gal. and those are 13" trailer tires on it.

Jags said:
WoodpileOCD said:
How bout some links to the older ones.

They would be some of the same pics posted above. Here is a couple more:

can you really call that "splitting"??? I guess calling your machine a "bashing the bejeezus out of the wood thingy" is too long...Splitter it is. Doubles as a cider press?

Delta-T said:
can you really call that "splitting"???

Guess what kind of wood that is. Yep its pisselm. That crap actually compressed before my wedge would sink into it. And nothing in tree form will stop that splitter, so it will just crush it if need be. Couldn't think of a better wood to crush. :zip:

DonNC said:
How much money do you think it cost you to build...not counting time.

I built it in a weekend by myself. I had to purchase the ram ($300), valve ($69), pump ($180) and winch ($49). Everything else I already had or scrounged. The H beam cost me 2 cases of beer. So basically it was about a $600 build for me, but if you purchase a splitter with the same specs and log lift - you will be in the $1800-$2000 range.

Jags said:
DonNC said:
How much money do you think it cost you to build...not counting time.

I built it in a weekend by myself. I had to purchase the ram ($300), valve ($69), pump ($180) and winch ($49). Everything else I already had or scrounged. The H beam cost me 2 cases of beer. So basically it was about a $600 build for me, but if you purchase a splitter with the same specs and log lift - you will be in the $1800-$2000 range.

I would say much higher than that even used!

DonNC said:
what about the frame... the wheels... Old trailer?

The axle was from an old boat trailer. A 3.5" channel iron was welded on top of the axle for both stiffening reasons and to raise the beam height. Beam is welded to 3.5" channel iron. You can see the "stack up" in this pic:

Attachments

• 100_1547sm.jpg
    100_1547sm.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 993
wow sweet splitter and a backhoe. Too bad you dont live any closer. I'd trade ya some of those woodstove pizzas we make just to borrow it.

maxed_out said:
wow sweet splitter and a backhoe. Too bad you dont live any closer. I'd trade ya some of those woodstove pizzas we make just to borrow it.

If that tractor was to barf out on me, I would have to replace it fast. I work it like an old dog around this place. Gotta love a forward/reverse shuttle on a loader tractor.

Always willing to help a brotha out, but I'm a heck of a cook and have an Isle Royal ;-) Now if were talking beer - thats a whole 'nuther thing. :coolsmile:

Ok lots of beer and pizza. My favorite food groups. We have an IR and you can do it too. It makes one mean pizza.

Whats a forward/reverse shuttle do for you, I've never ran one.

maxed_out said:
Ok lots of beer and pizza. My favorite food groups. We have an IR and you can do it too. It makes one mean pizza.

Whats a forward/reverse shuttle do for you, I've never ran one.

The gear shift lever 1-4 is to set speed. Your forward and reverse direction is a lever at the steering wheel like your turn signals. It is a common thing used in forklifts and industrial loader applications (and the 580CK Case is considered industrial)

Jags, don't worry. Us old timers don't get tired of the pictures and especially when you produce such a fine machine. Good work.

Jags -

On the side opposite of the log-lift; would a holder/cradle help or hurt more?

My way of thinking (a very short road!) is that if you needed a lift to bring up
the round originally; you'll still bust-a-nut man handling, at most, the other half
of the round off the ground after you did the first split. Or am I still wet behind
the ears?

P.J.

PJF1313 said:
Jags -

My way of thinking (a very short road!) is that if you needed a lift to bring up
the round originally; you'll still bust-a-nut man handling, at most, the other half
of the round off the ground after you did the first split. Or am I still wet behind
the ears?

P.J.

Hmmm...it can happen, where the half of the split on the operators side can get away from you. I just stand back and let it fall if it is trying to bowl me over. That said - I find that it happens rarely. As said above, you can allow the part opposite of the operator fall back to the work table and then re-maneuver the half on the operators side to be re-split. Basically you just hold it in place until the ram gets out of your way. I guess since you wouldn't stand that close to the beam, an narrower table could be added to the operators side, but I'm not sure how much help that would be. I have never had one come off of the lift and roll off the beam - if that was your question, but I am also a pretty stout guy, and the lift can be adjusted in small increments. I just lift it to the point that I have a bit of gravity to help roll the round to the beam. It can usually be places with one hand.

I have worked up rounds using the log lift, that if they were laying flat on the ground, you would need mechanical assistance in moving them.

Jags - sweet work - love the lift. Also, the posted sign left on the round is great - I'll have to use that technique to gain access to some new hunting areas. Cheers!

Jags said:
PJF1313 said:
Jags -

the ears?

P.J.

Hmmm...it can happen, where the half of the split on the operators side can get away from you. I just stand back and let it fall if it is trying to bowl me over. That said - I find that it happens rarely. As said above, you can allow the part opposite of the operator fall back to the work table and then re-maneuver the half on the operators side to be re-split. Basically you just hold it in place until the ram gets out of your way. I guess since you wouldn't stand that close to the beam, an narrower table could be added to the operators side, but I'm not sure how much help that would be. I have never had one come off of the lift and roll off the beam - if that was your question, but I am also a pretty stout guy, and the lift can be adjusted in small increments. I just lift it to the point that I have a bit of gravity to help roll the round to the beam. It can usually be places with one hand.

I have worked up rounds using the log lift, that if they were laying flat on the ground, you would need mechanical assistance in moving them.

Gotcha - Just keep on taken' "slabs" off rather than 1/2 it at a time. Smart man.

Status
Not open for further replies.