Jamestown JT2000 Pellet Stove Help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmagic

Nov 9, 2015
California
So here's my problem.
After 5-6 hours of running my Pellet Stove,
the pellets accumulate in the fire box,
into a big congealed mess.
Then they start falling out.
I usually turn off the auger for 30 minutes,
and let the pellets burn down,
Then I turn it back on,
for about an hour, until it does it again.

Now I can come back tomorrow,
and clean the fire pot, start it up again,
and it will do the same thing.
It will run fine for 5-6 hours and then,
there's a big mess of pellets again.

At first I thought it was the Auger motor,
but this happens whether the auger speed,
is at a minimal setting or up all the way.

Then it occurred to me that it might be a combustion problem,
and the fire is not hot enough to consume/burn the pellets
and they pile up.

I'm no pellet stove expert,
so that's why I'm posting here

Thoughts?

Lets start by how old of stove? Age can give us idea of things that will need to be checked, cleaned or replaced.
Looks to me that the fire is not getting enough air. Stove may need a very good cleaning, or its venting. Bad gaskets as they compress with use and age and allow air to get in around the door instead of the through the fire. Have not personally seen one of these stoves and there is not many here on the site. We can start with the basics

Lets start by how old of stove? Age can give us idea of things that will need to be checked, cleaned or replaced.
Looks to me that the fire is not getting enough air. Stove may need a very good cleaning, or its venting. Bad gaskets as they compress with use and age and allow air to get in around the door instead of the through the fire. Have not personally seen one of these stoves and there is not many here on the site. We can start with the basics

I'm not even a weekend Warrior Bioburne,
So here goes.

Its a "Jamestown JT2000T (If memory serves me right).
It was Mfg in 1989.
We've had it for 3 years now.

To start with, the fan noise is horrendous!
About 3 weeks ago, smoke was starting to back up in our house,
with the pellet stove on, so I turned it off.
We didnt use it for 3 weeks.
We had the Chimney cleaned, and the creosote was so bad,
there was only about a 3" passage up the chimney.

After we had it cleaned out, it worked fine, no smoke.
This issue started about 4 days ago.
I run it during the day and turn it off a night before I go to bed.

The maintenance history is minimal.
We bought it used for $425.00.
We then had our next door neighbor,
(Handyman that works on pellet stoves).
He took it all apart and cleaned/vacuumed everything out.
He replaced all the gaskets and replaced the Auger motor.
He charged us $240.00
So for approx $675.00, we got a used pellet stove,
that has kept us warm for 3 Winters.
That was 3 years ago.

As far as what I do to clean it is:
I vacuum it out, from the front,
as to what I can reach from that angle.
I don't take out the asbestos bricks or anything like that.

I also empty the "catch pan" thingy,at the bottom.
The fire box gets cleaned every day, before I use it.
There is a "T" type of pipe going out the back,
and that goes into the vent pipe,
and that connects to the Chimney.
I took the bottom cap off that,
and got a whole bunch of what I call "ash" out of that too.

My wife has given me permission to contact 2 "Dealers" to see what a good pellet stove will cost us.

One of the dealers I called, says he "didnt work on Jamestown pellet Stoves,
but he was happy enough, to want to talk to me about a "new epa certified stove".
;^)

I can't believe I've gotten used to that fan motor on our unit.
I would look forward to a Pellet Stove,
that I didnt have to turn the volume up by a factor of 30, when it's on.

My stove has 1 speed on the blower.
Do the newer Pellet Stoves have like a 3 speed motor, (low/Medium and High)?

From the mfg site...
http://jamestownpelletstoves.com/product/j-2pc/

Some stoves even use a variable fan that is run by a sensor in the exhaust and speeds up the fan to remove as much of the heat as it can without getting below the needed exhaust temp to keep water from condensing or can be run on fireplace mode for no fan at all. Pellet stoves have come a very long way, even can control via a wifi connection. Be the same as comparing the same vintage of cars. 1989 vs 2015

Some stoves even use a variable fan that is run by a sensor in the exhaust and speeds up the fan to remove as much of the heat as it can without getting below the needed exhaust temp to keep water from condensing or can be run on fireplace mode for no fan at all. Pellet stoves have come a very long way, even can control via a wifi connection. Be the same as comparing the same vintage of cars. 1989 vs 2015
Well I do know when the pellets start piling up in the firebox and I turn it off,
it takes 90-120min, before the fan goes off.
It does shut off when the stove reaches 90 degrees.

That's probably a simple snap switch with a temp swing of 120-90. A very common method of controlling fans and for proof of fire.

That's a very lazy fire - not enough airflow, IMO.

I agree. Stove needs a drag out, blow out cleaning I would bet. I haven't read the manual for couple years but it should have detailed instructions on a annual cleaning that would probably get it back in fair running condition.

I agree. Stove needs a drag out, blow out cleaning I would bet. I haven't read the manual for couple years but it should have detailed instructions on a annual cleaning that would probably get it back in fair running condition.
Thank you Bioburner for all your input.
My wife and I are pretty much, going in the direction of a NEW Pellet Stove.
Weve seen some at Home Depot, that are in the $1200.00-$1600.00 dollar range, that we're thinking about.
In the very preliminary stages at this point.

Englander stoves has direct sales and some refurbished units at better than the store prices with good support. A search of this site will give the factory web site. Amfmenergy or something of that order

New stoves need cleaning too and the venting as well. It needs to become part of your routine whether you keep this stove or buy a new one.. Just sayin,

Status
Not open for further replies.