January's Firewood Came Early

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I had originally planned to haul January's firewood up to the porch this coming Saturday. It got up to 20°F above zero this morning, and Saturday is supposed to be below zero again, so I decided to haul it up before the light snow arrived this afternoon. I carried all the splits that were left from December's wood into the house, then got busy hauling the next month's worth onto the porch. While I did that, I let the stove burn down and cool a little. Then I swept the chimney and pipe, shoveled the ashes out, and back to full burn before the house had a chance to cool. Just like I do it every month.
IMG_5174.jpg

Some nice seasoned wood there. Burns great!
IMG_5175.jpg

Piled these oddball pieces in the firepit for burning on more summer-like evenings. The markers are the only way I can tell exactly where the firepit is right now!
IMG_5176.jpg

Hey quads,
with all this cold we've been having, I had to move my Jan. wood into position today too. Pretty good timing. Well, only part of it, I'll work on some more tomorrow.
Swept the flue about 3 days ago, although it didn't really need it. The cap was a little gunked, so I'm glad I checked.
Nice pics.

My flue really didn't need sweeping either this time, but sometimes Old Smokey makes a bunch. So I sweep it once a month, just because I take it apart to check anyway. Usually the top 6 inches of the chimney and the single-wall piece of pipe in the house are the worst. The top has the gunky unburned creosote and the pipe in the house has the crunchy already been burnt stuff.

Quads, that is some nice looking wood.

My wife and I were just talking a bit ago about when the real cold of wither will hit and I reminded her that most year we can count on January 10 as being the start of the real cold of winter. If it proves true, we have a few days yet to work without frozen hands and feet.

Yep, January is usually the coldest and windiest, and also when I use the most wood. Although, February can be just as bad.

If the salt water freezes here, it's usually between the middle of January and the middle of February when it does.

We can get some pretty deep snow in February, though.
That's when we usually get it, too. Not before Christmas like this year.

January sucks everywhere, my friends. My stove will probably pound down close to a cord of wood in January alone. January in New England, if its snowing, you know that your getting warm weather. Clear night, no wind usually equals 0 degrees. Cheers!

-13°F (-25°C, 248.2°K) right now and still dropping. I don't mind though, I actually like the cold weather. Prefer it over hot weather. -30°F and below for extended periods gets to be kind of hard on the cows though.

I don't care for too much snow anymore, but so far we haven't gotten enough to cause a lot of problems. There is about a foot of snow-cover and as long as we don't get any more, I'm ok with that!

Backwoods Savage said:
Quads, that is some nice looking wood.

My wife and I were just talking a bit ago about when the real cold of wither will hit and I reminded her that most year we can count on January 10 as being the start of the real cold of winter. If it proves true, we have a few days yet to work without frozen hands and feet.

Dennis, not sure about your neck of the woods, but we were down around -6 this morning when I got up. It's 0 now. I think it's hitting a little earlier than your estimate. Maybe that means it'll be even colder come the 10th?
Had to get up twice in the night to feed the stove, or the house would have been almost cold. Still trying to get the house up to temp. Stove is at 600, but starting to drop a bit with a nice bed of coals and 1 decent split. Gotta' go, time to reload.

quads said:
Yep, January is usually the coldest and windiest, and also when I use the most wood. Although, February can be just as bad.

Are you by the Big Eau Pleine?

Woodsman_WI said:
quads said:

Are you by the Big Eau Pleine?
Nope, about 10 miles east of Castle Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.