John Deere 60V

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
there is one on CL near me for $150. I looked it up and see now that it is a 60cc (59.8, actually) saw. Pictures look great. no chain break. made by Echo, probably the same as CS-602VL, which was made from 1976 to 1981.

Is $150 good for this saw. Is it good for a saw that I would likely just display (I don't know if ya'all know this, but I'm a JD fanboy) OK, it would probably get used a very small amount, maybe pull off the shelf only occasionally because i like to play with saws, or because I ran out of gas on the saw I was using...

I'm not scared of the lack of chainbrake, but what i'm looking for here, is some reassurance that this price is decent, like comparable to a similar Echo from that time period. The thing I hate most about Deere stuff, is the premium that gets slapped on because of the name. IMHO this shouldn't be worth a dime more than if it was an Echo. Of course, if it was wearing Echo clothes I wouldn't even be interested, so I suppose it can be worth a dime more. But that's it.

I'd pick it up. I too have a JD Fanboy Membership Card. My wife rolls her eyes but I was a proud papa when someone gave me JD socks for my unborn son! (due Jan 20)

Guy is actually near my parents, so I've got an email out to him to see if he can hold it for them or me. Dad said he'd be willing to stop by, but it's harvest and he is busy, so I told him to only do it if he has plans to go to town.

I wish the sucker was actually green, like more of their recent saws, but oh well. I need this because I am feeling guilty about the new red mower sitting in my yard.

Danno77 said:
Guy is actually near my parents, so I've got an email out to him to see if he can hold it for them or me. Dad said he'd be willing to stop by, but it's harvest and he is busy, so I told him to only do it if he has plans to go to town.

I wish the sucker was actually green, like more of their recent saws, but oh well. I need this because I am feeling guilty about the new red mower sitting in my yard.

Newer saws are made by Emak (sp?), Italian I believe. Not bad but it was laughable when we tried them out at a Dealer Sales Training event (BTL if you're familiar with it.)next to Stihl's and a Husky. Had an impromptu chainsaw race. :coolsmirk:

Red mower?! :bug: Pfft, it'd better say Exmark on it at least, lol. Just teasin'!

Red mower says craftsman. Have considered painting the hood green, there isn't that much red on it. Yellow wheels would put it over the top, lol. I have a whole John Deere A decal set.

Still no word from the guy on the saw.

Well I can't be of much help as I never have looked at used saws or how much they are worth but fwiw dad used a 70V from when it was new up until around a little more than 5 years ago. It served him well over the years. I tried to fix it a few years back, couldnt find a replacement coil for it and eventually got rid of it. Wish I was able to get it running again. I forget what exact saw he replaced it with, it was a Stihl MS3XX and he was decently surprised how much nicer it was to cut with. Even though most our tractors wear IH badges we are still equal opportunity abusers here... plenty of others put to hard use on the farm and also restored (JD, AC, NH, Cockshutt, Ford, MF, etc). I'd have to say the workhorses are the 3 1466's though (well except the big articulated Case)...

Status
Not open for further replies.