John Deere Garden Tractors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2008
I've been looking at older JD garden tractors recently. I have a 92 MTD yardman that does all my mowing and towing right now but its pretty little beat up. I like the old JDs because of the attachments like a front end loader, tiller, ect. in addition to mowing an acre. Any recommendations at which models I should be looking at? I'd like to keep it from early 90's back, based on their bullet proof reputation. Im liking the 140 model but I dont know if I should be looking at something that came out afterwards or not. I dont have much knowledge in regards to tractors.

Thanks

All you gotta do is ask.. I have 4 140's n love em. I alsp have a mechanical back ground though.. If not up to speed with points and stuff like that you may mant to consider a newer 300 series. With all the options. JD s are right up my alley.. Any ?'s just ask....

I wouldnt waste the time or effort on a front end loader on a garden tractor , all they are is pretty much a powered wheel barrel . 1 wheel drive garden tractors and loaders are useless . wheel weights and chains will help but only slightly better . For front end loader work you should look into a subcompact tractor in 4 wheel drive .
On the tiller thing these too are generally so wide you only use them twice a year in the spring and fall . So unless you have some really huge garden which my 30 by 50 I think is big enough you are much better off with a walk behind tiller only because you need this anyways for between the rows as I doubt your planting rows over 3 feet apart .

webie said:
I wouldnt waste the time or effort on a front end loader on a garden tractor , all they are is pretty much a powered wheel barrel . 1 wheel drive garden tractors and loaders are useless . wheel weights and chains will help but only slightly better . For front end loader work you should look into a subcompact tractor in 4 wheel drive .
On the tiller thing these too are generally so wide you only use them twice a year in the spring and fall . So unless you have some really huge garden which my 30 by 50 I think is big enough you are much better off with a walk behind tiller only because you need this anyways for between the rows as I doubt your planting rows over 3 feet apart .

Thanks for the feedback. I did come across a Kubota L185 but it was a little out of my price range at $3,200 without a mowing deck or any other attachments.

I had a L245...nice machine and the 6 ft finish mower made quick work of my acre and a half. I run a 4 ft tiller behind my Ford compact and it makes quick work of spring prep and fall cleanup. In fact, that is on the agenda for today. If you go with a slightly bigger tractor, you can hang a 3 pt tiller between the wheels and never compact your soil. This is what it looks like after spring prep.

Attachments

• 0409garden.jpg
    0409garden.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 607
I have the 300 series with 4 wheel steering as I have lots of obstacles in my yard, and I absolutely love it. The only accessory I have thus far is the double bagger vacuum pickup which I use for fall and early spring cleanup - works fantastic (Haven't touched a rake for 2+ years), eliminating the oneejob I always dreaded...raking, raking, raking, first the ash leaves then the maple leaves, then the aspen leaves and finally the oak leaves. Now I just drive around and empty the bags. I mulch the remainder of the year.

Berni, The 140's are older than the 90's. The 318's, 316's, 317's, 420's could be from the 80's and 90's.
These models are out there. Made very well, still sell for a premium usually, and have (like any other piece of equipment) a very specifice function. The one thing they all do well is last forever if properly cared for. Visit weekendfreedommachines.com for any information.

I like the weekendfreedommachine website...tons of great info.

I've found a 210 on CL near me for $500. It has a 47" deck and the guy says it starts and runs great. its too big for his property and the wife wants it gone. Im checking it out tomorrow. Has anyone used a 200 series tractor? I believe this one is a 1977 build.

200's are very well built machines. Good for pushing and pulling. Realize the engine could blow at any time for its age. It depends on condition for 500. It it was stored outside, I would say no way. If its in good condition it may be worth it if it doesn't smoke.
210 is the bottom of the 200 series. 10hp. 212, 214,216 etc.

So I picked up a JD 140, 12hp last night. The hydrostatic transmission lever needs to be adjusted though. the tractor doesnt stay in the set speed for long, it likes to go fast haha. After riding it around for a bit the tractor started to get a little jerky on me too. I added more type F ATF and realized I turned the valve adjustment control instead of the mower deck adjuster. I turned it back a little and it seems to be running better, minus the tractor's need for speed. I cant cut my grass doing 10mph! Is there an online owner's manual for these things? I checked around but couldnt find anything.

You will almost always find JD operator and service manuals on EBay. If you watch, you should eventually come across the service manual as well.

Berni, Go to weekendfreedommachines again, become a member. Those guys know 140's like the back of their hands.

Here's a pic of my new 140. I got the hydro issue under control. i love this thing.

Attachments

• jd1402.bmp
    197.8 KB · Views: 381
nice lookin tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.