Jotul 3 CB - Installing cast iron lid after conversion to back vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cernick

Oct 14, 2007
colorado
I have a Jotul 3 CB that I just had installed on my fireplace mantel that used to be top venting in its old location and is now obviously back venting into my chimney. I have the the cast iron lid, traverse bar, gasket, and screw and am wondering the best way to seal nice and tight.

It seems as if the traverse bar sits in a grove of the stove hole opening, which then forces me to put the lid on and hand tighten the screw with my fingers since the baffle makes getting a wrench in there tough.

Am I missing something simple here or is there a better way?

Doing it the way I described it seems as if I was getting some smoke leaking around the seal.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Paul.

The whole top of the stove is just held in place by two small Allen screws. One on each side of the stove right under the lip of the top plate. Take the screws out, lift the to top off, install the flue cover in the top and put the top back on and tighten the Allen screws back down.

That did it! Thanks a ton. Much easier than trying to ram my hand between the baffle and the stove top while holding a wrench. :)

Thanks again!

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.