Jotul 3CB door and glass gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I was getting some regular glass darkening toward the latter part of last season on my Jotul 3CB. I suspected my door glass might be leaking as it moved around without much pressure. I undid the small clips that hold it down, took the glass out, checked everything, then put it back together. Those clips seem pretty flimsy and don't put much pressure at all to hold the glass tight up against the gasket material. Kinda wondering if these clips can become loose and or bend a little bit after a couple seasons of burning. It doesn't look like it would take much to bend them, and I have removed them a few times over the years during extensive cleanings.

Also, these clips have small strips of gasket material to keep the metal gasket from being in direct contact with the glass. They seem to be falling apart even with careful handling. I'm thinking of just taking the whole door to my dealer (*shudder*) and ask him to replace the door and clip gaskets. If he gives me a high quote to do it, is there any cement used on the factory door gasket by Jotul?

Finally, on the topic of my paranoia about door leakage, I see soot around my door handle on the inside as if maybe the door handle is allowing air leakage? I can't see why it wouldn't leak since the handle goes right through the door and I can't see any replaceable gasket in it.

Dollar bill check on the door seems OK.

Everything expands when it gets hot. Rutland sells a cement, regasket it and check it you should be fine. You will know after the first fire!

I have heavy black soot on the inside latch part of the handle on my F3 too Wahoo. I think that since the primary air shoots straight down on it and it does not get as not as the glass the soot just never burns off of it like it does the glass.

That or the Norwegians designed it that way to keep it from rusting. 8-/

Status
Not open for further replies.