Jotul 400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanworks

Dec 31, 2014
US PA Bucks County
Am looking at a 400 Castine for $400 Enameled Green without ash lip. Photo's look great. What should I look out for. I can weld cast iron so any cracks don't worry me too much. seems like a great stove at a great price from a chimney cleaner

Am looking at a 400 Castine for $400 Enameled Green without ash lip. Photo's look great. What should I look out for. I can weld cast iron so any cracks don't worry me too much. seems like a great stove at a great price from a chimney cleaner
jotul stove.jpg

The enameling on Jotuls is very high quality, it stands up well. That said it looks like the stove has been stored poorly and has interior rusting. This is the older version of the stove. You'll need to make sure the secondary manifold hasn't rusted out. Look for cracks in the base around the grate. If interior parts are corroded out or if you find cracks, offer $200.

The enameling on Jotuls is very high quality, it stands up well. That said it looks like the stove has been stored poorly and has interior rusting. This is the older version of the stove. You'll need to make sure the secondary manifold hasn't rusted out. Look for cracks in the base around the grate. If interior parts are corroded out or if you find cracks, offer $200.
Thanks so much for replying on New Years Eve. I'm excited to TRY to get this stove. I'll look at the inside and the guy has been to busy to deal with me. ! 1/2 hrs away from home but still excited. Again thanks for your help

It would be hard to go wrong for $400! I'm curious, what happened to the Ashlip? I'm no welder, but I would still be concerned with a cracked iron stove! If it was free I would tackle it, not for $400.

I went in a different direction and bought a used Dovre Horizon 500. $350. Catalytic is in great shape. Cleaning it up and checking the gaskets. Any advice would be appreciated. One thing is that it doesn't have fire bricks. Is this unusual

Status
Not open for further replies.