1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul 404 is this worth the 850?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by MillHeat, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MillHeat

MillHeat New Member

Loc:
    Michigan

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It is in good condition and if the ad is true, very low mileage. For a stove like this the price depends on how much you want it. I also see the same stove on ebay and there are several 404 wanted ads around the country on craigslist. You appear to be closest, so your decision. Show up with $800 tomorrow and you may take it. Snooze and you might lose.

That said, what is most important is will it fit your needs and give you great pleasure. Only you can answer that. I have no idea how good a stove this turned out to be. If you are looking for a practical small cook stove then there may be other alternatives.
  3. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    Craigslist is all about the low ball. He wants $850, you need to offer $600. If you can get it for $700 - $750 I would do it. You would have that stove for the next 50 years. That is how I got my stove on Craigslist. They wanted $700 I offered $400 I got it for $550.
  4. MillHeat

MillHeat New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Well we are doing a country style kitchen. Our kitchen is 25x 20 so I will have room for it in there. Since
    we will have wall ovens that are hidden behind cabinets and a stove that is in a island. I wanted something that would last a long
    time and would continue the look we wanted. I know this would fit the bill. Its just I didn't know if its worth the price.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  6. afptl

afptl Member

Loc:
    Northern KY
    that stove is awesome!! didn't know Jotul made that! A bakers choice is also a good wood cookstove. I would look at that at least online before I decided.
  7. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    If you do end up getting one, please do a better floor protection plan than the one in those pics. ;-)
  8. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Buying depends on what you want to do with it. If you are buying it to heat, you room will be about all the stove can handle and you will be loading it all the time. If you want it to cook, maybe... There are better choices, but it sounds like you already have cooking surfaces and appliances. If you are buying it as an investment, find a very nice Old Cast Iron Stove and stay in the same price range and you may not lose too much when you sell it. I don't care what people say, demand drives the price of older stoves and appliances.
  9. mooersrealty

mooersrealty New Member

Loc:
    Houlton Maine
    Definitely worth it. Have one and it is a honey, so efficient and don't let the small size fool you. Of the 404 Jotul cookstove from Norway! Will never sell the one I have, seen in action, depend on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.