Jotul 450 Kennebec Installation Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucen

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2010
Chepachet, RI
Joe Briggs (Briggs Family Fireplace) and Nick just finished my install. These guys did a great job at a reasonable price. They were recommended by Preston Trading Post where I bought the Kennebec (as was the first installer I called).

I posted a few days ago that the first installer I contacted was very reluctant to insulate the liner in my outside chimney and install a block out plate saying that both were unnecessary. In fact his reluctance translated into an additional $930 on top of the basic liner and install charges for a total of $2,080. I hesitated on spending that kind of money which would have had my installation costing close to what my Kennebec cost. As a result of posting a thread here asking if the install charges were too high, Preston called me suggesting that buying the additional installation materials through them would lessen the costs and also suggested calling Briggs Family Fireplace for another estimate. I called Joe and I ended up paying him $1,300 for the install with liner and block out plate. There was no reluctance on his part to install either. Absolutely no complaints with the install.

I should also mention that the steel shroud (or whatever it is called) around the insert had a few deep scratches upon delivery. Joe repainted those with stove paint and when I let Preston know of my slight dissatisfaction, they made an adjustment to the purchase price.

I thought I would post this because when I started looking for stoves I was very confused. I wanted to purchase from a shop that did there own installations but it is not that easy to find such a shop. When I did find one, they didn't sell the stoves I was interested in. I lucked out in finding Preston Trading Post and Briggs Family Fireplace.

I'm sure I will be posting questions soon on the operation of my Kennebec. Thanks for being a great source of information.

Bruce

Attachments

• P1000533.jpg
    P1000533.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 731
Congrats, welcome and enjoy !!

Oh and Merry Christmas

I'm trying to get my first small fire going and have a dumb question. Does the air control open/shut off the air in the area of the grates at the blowers? Also should I feel some resistance when I slide the control back and forth? It almost seems to slide too freely. Thanks in adance.

Bruce, The slide moves very freely on mine too, that is how it is supposed to be. There is a cut away view of the stove in the manual that shows how the inlet air routes into the stove for both the primary and secondary air.You can't really see what you are opening and closing it is under the little "doghouse" bump inside the doors. Break it in and enjoy the warmth!
Jim

Brucen said:
I'm trying to get my first small fire going and have a dumb question. Does the air control open/shut off the air in the area of the grates at the blowers? Also should I feel some resistance when I slide the control back and forth? It almost seems to slide too freely. Thanks in adance.

That's interesting. On my 550, the air control is fairly stiff. Be sure to use your fire gloves when the stove is warmed up. Not using your gloves is a mistake you only make once.

My C450 is the same - very free moving air adjustment. If you have thoroughly seasoned wood, I'm sure you'll enjoy heating with it!

bboulier said:
Brucen said:

That's interesting. On my 550, the air control is fairly stiff. Be sure to use your fire gloves when the stove is warmed up. Not using your gloves is a mistake you only make once.

The 550 must be quite a bit different, every 450 I looked at was the same as mine. The air control lever on mine never gets hot enough to need gloves to operate either, but I am a welder and my definition of hot enough to need gloves may differ from yours.

My FIL's ~6-7 year old kennebec has been an awesome stove, only needed a new gasket so far.

Compared to my Lopi, his is far easier to operate. It seems to have the perfect amount of air getting in at start-up with the door closed immediately, and slows but doesn't choke the fire with the air control shut down. It's really impressively different in ease of operation compared to the Lopi, which seems to be much more air-sensitive (could be my setup).

If you don't mind me asking, can you share approximately how much your Kennebec ran you? I'm always thinking 3 stoves ahead and while I expect my Lopi to give me fantastic service for many years, I don't expect to live in this house for more than 4-5 more years and as such may be in the market for a new stove then :)

joefrompa said:
My FIL's ~6-7 year old kennebec has been an awesome stove, only needed a new gasket so far.

Compared to my Lopi, his is far easier to operate. It seems to have the perfect amount of air getting in at start-up with the door closed immediately, and slows but doesn't choke the fire with the air control shut down. It's really impressively different in ease of operation compared to the Lopi, which seems to be much more air-sensitive (could be my setup).

If you don't mind me asking, can you share approximately how much your Kennebec ran you? I'm always thinking 3 stoves ahead and while I expect my Lopi to give me fantastic service for many years, I don't expect to live in this house for more than 4-5 more years and as such may be in the market for a new stove then :)

The Kennebec was $2,390 which was an OK price but I managed to get free delivery and a stove tool kit thrown in. Preston also took $75 off the price for the sctaches that I told them I wasn't too happy about. To be honest it was also delivered un-boxed. They said this could have been a case where the wrong stove was originally put on the truck and brought back.

Hello,

I recently had the Kennebec C450 professionally installed in my home and had a question about the air flow diagram in the manual. It shows that the airflow is from a 3" combustion air inlet located at the rear of the unit to the primary and secondary ports inside the firebox. However, I know that my installer indicated my C450 unit did not have this inlet on the back of the unit . Also they sealed off the old air inlet vent that was part of my existing fireplace. So I am questioning how the airflow is actually being routed here? Does anyone know if there an updated diagram? I do see a difference with the amount of airflow that is coming out the primary inlet when I move the lever ( and yes, this lever seems to operate very loosely).

Just curious anyone have a C450 with the combustion air inlet connected to the outside or if the diagram in the manual needs updating.

Thanks,

Mark

Nice looking stove. I was set on this insert but I couldn't manage the liner connection once it was inserted (no room to work). Fortunatly, the HI300 was there for my next option!

CleanBurnin said:
You may want to start a new thread for this.

I know for a fact that mine does have an air inlet at the rear, and any of the manuals show the same. It's possible your installer doesn't know what he is talking about - wouldn't be the first.

+1 for me as well. I saw it when I did my installation and it clearly shows it in the manuals. I agree that the installer is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.