1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul 500 hard to control.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Bison, Oct 4, 2012.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Well, frequently using the ash pan to start certainly voided the warranty. It might be worthwhile to vacuum out the base of the stove and carefully inspect the grate and base are for hairline cracks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bison

Bison New Member

Not going to argue about using the ash door to start the fire,...as usuall,...common sense applies.
    denisn likes this.
  3. denisn

denisn New Member

Loc:
    oregon coast
    a couple years ago i bought a 602c jotul used in good condition for 450$ . i just put it in a couple days ago and haven't let it go out since but been doing testing, to test for air leaks i use a lighter to see where the flame bends on mine only at the air intake on front . mine has no brick only the interior cast panels. if i cut the air off it burns nice and slow and the pipe is 160 degrees. i switched it from a back exhaust to top 7" . before i put in i took it completly apart and cleaned and inspected. this one has no ash box. looks like you shovel them out, also the firebox is over 24"long has nice height and width inside.am thinking of putting a damper in for more control what do you experts think of dampers. this jotul replaced a 20 yr old quadra-fire pellet stove. also i just put in a 3'cu osburn insert to replace my 32 year old blase king non cat. i really like it but door and box could be bigger. need all this on the damp oregon coast
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    If it has a 24" firebox with nice height it ain't a 602. 118 Maybe?
  5. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Bison - Did you get a replacement part? Cement the questionable gap? Are your problems resolved?
  6. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    I agree with you. If the secondary air is coming in at the base of the fire, you will see a much faster burn. Unfortunately I am not at home right now or I would go down and check to see if that gap is sealed on my stove. I hope you find a solution to your problem soon. I can check my stove upon returning home this weekend.
  7. denisn

denisn New Member

Loc:
    oregon coast
    ok how s about a 1980 121 with moose on the sides.
  8. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That's more like it. That is a great stove!
  9. Bison

Bison New Member

I ordered a tube of cement at the dealer weeks ago ,as of today it still ain't in.:rolleyes:
    If the moron was holding his breath thinking i'm gonna buy a new stove(yes he tried) he'll be dead by now.
  10. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I can't believe he had to order it! If he did, it shouldn't take more than a few days. He's waiting until he had a big order, so he could save a little money. He should have tons of stove cement around.
  11. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Have you tried a local hardware store or Home Depot? I am certain they must have some Rutland stove cement you could use. Weeks to get some stove cement is ridiculous!
  12. Bison

Bison New Member

Well its been a while so i figured i let you know how things expired with my stove
    I finally got that tube of cement last week(picked one up at my local home hardware,shoulda gone there right away):rolleyes:
    I took that backpanel/airduct out of the stove(held in place with one single bolt),cleaned the old cement from all 4 sides and ran a bead of cement all around and bolted it back in place,I let it dry for an hour and fired the stove back up.
    De stove can now be fully controlled again with just the slide up front....nice for a change..:) ..
    Burn time is much longer now,i fill the stove before going to bed and when i get up 7 hrs later there's still enough coals left to get it going again.
    So yeah, that gap deffenitly needed sealed.
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks for the follow up. Good to hear that you are burning normally again.