jotul 550 has any one got one yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one in it's box in my garage. It is supposed to be installed tomorrow (Thursday) if we have clear weather. The forecast is for 26* and snow grrrrr It was 65* here today!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed or else we will just have to wait again. ( It was supposed to go in on Monday but husband and one of my children were sick with a fierce flu that is going around here so we held off. ) :mad:

No install today due to snow...New date set for Monday, Feb. 18.....

Ordered it in mid November. It was supposed to be installed on Jan. 6th. Didn't get installed because the store couldn't get one becuase of the high demand of the stove. I got a call today to let me know that the store got the 550 in today. Happy Valentine's Day to me....the wife was not as excited, but happy for me.

It is going to be installed next week. I will post pics when it happens. Can't wait.

Soxfan - Wondering if you got your install done. Mine was installed Monday and I am now sitting in my front room with windows open and fan on high burning my 3rd curing fire. Glad it's in :)

perplexed,

Getting it installed tomorrow morning and can't wait. How bad is the smell? I can't wait to get the thing fired up for real. Did you get a thermometer? If so, where did you place it? Did the installers put in the block off plate?

Soxfan-

Smell is tolerable but I have a box fan in front of a window in the room with my insert and a window open in our breakfast room to pull the air through which minimizes it. Still gives me a headache...but it clears out pretty quickly and we luckily have had temps in the high 40's so we aren't too cold.

I had a Rutland therm. on my old insert and have put it on the Jotul. It is mounted on the front panel right above the door handle. Fits perfectly just wish it wasn't bright red. Looking for a less conspicuous one. Feel like it gives a relative heat reading because the cast iron is thick and takes longer to heat it up compared to my old insert. My first curing fire didn't budge the needle at all. Second barely got it to 100* but I'm sure it was hotter due to the amount of wood I had in it. (This insert does take longer to heat than my old one because there is more cast iron for it to heat which is one of the reasons I chose it.) Third curing fire I got it up to 300* but I think that one was hotter too because it was burning off the creosote off of the fire bricks which doesn't usually happen at that temp. Or at least it didn't in my old insert.

Each new temp creates the odor all over again. Will do last curing tomorrow morning. I'll see what the therm. reads out. Know it will all come together the more I get used to how this insert works.

Didn't do the block off plate after all. The installers had to knock out a lot of bricks from the damper shelf in order to get a straight shot for the liner to attach to the insert. The previous installers cut corners and as a result my old ss liner was very crumpled for the last 5' which I had no idea about and consider myself lucky that we didn't end up with major problems. Anyway, the installers I used this time were much more adept at what they were doing and I knew more too as a result of this forum. I watched them like a hawk.

Can't remember if you are replacing an insert or if this is your first one. Although I haven't done a full blown fire yet I am very pleased with how it has burned so far. Anxious to really burn and see how it heats things up. It is huge!

I did get the heat shield but my husband doesn't like it and is afraid someone will cut themselves on it when leaning down to open the door. I don't mind it but will have a friend see if he can move our mantel up to meet requirements.

I also added 2 flue extensions to my chimney to get it to 15' which is the min. recommended height . (The installers did it and it was no big deal or expense. Each one cost around 20.00. Only problem is that they are a different color than the ones already on my chimney so now I'm trying to find out if I can paint them to match....)

One minor problem with my unit. One blower wasn't rotating on low. Called my dealer and she called Jotul and it was a very easy adjustment. Love the simple construction and straight forwardness of this insert. Everything fits together so nicely. My installers had never installed a Jotul and they too were very impressed with it.

So far I am pleased with my dealer too. My last dealer was a nightmare. Great before he had my money and then gone and dishonest to boot. While the woman I bought this from doesn't know much about the 550 because it is new she has no problems admitting she doesn't know and calls Jotul to get the info. I need. Hopefully this service will continue to be good if I need her in the future. Time will tell.

Good luck tomorrow. I would love to hear how things work out for you. I did take pictures but we have been super busy these past few days and I haven't figured out how to get them out of my son's camera and onto the forum. Got to get some uninterrupted time to work on that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.