Jotul 550 insert draw/cold air intake problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you. Lastnight I used some super dry pine from a shipping crate that I split with a pocket knife. Worked great but flue was still hot from earlier. Maybe a duct burner system. Lol. Tap a few holes at the stove pipe outlet and fire some lit propane up there prefire. Lol, jk .

We have customers who preheat with a propane torch light it and set it in the stove for a few mins

We have customers who preheat with a propane torch light it and set it in the stove for a few mins

Thank you all for the info. I’ve been using the propane to start the draft and it’s been working great. Now how about this one.... how do I stop the reverse draft when not using stove! It’s like an open window in the living room. Maybe move one of the upper firebricks to the side and stuff a wad of insulation into the flue? Anyone ever try this?

Thank you all for the info. I’ve been using the propane to start the draft and it’s been working great. Now how about this one.... how do I stop the reverse draft when not using stove! It’s like an open window in the living room. Maybe move one of the upper firebricks to the side and stuff a wad of insulation into the flue? Anyone ever try this?
I agree with begreen, you’re working too hard, shouldn’t be like this. If I had to stuff the flue every time I wasn’t using the stove I’d be frustrated to say the least. My stoves going 24/7 so I don’t notice I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with begreen, you’re working too hard, shouldn’t be like this. If I had to stuff the flue every time I wasn’t using the stove I’d be frustrated to say the least. My stoves going 24/7 so I don’t notice I suppose.

I had the cold air pouring in problem when mine was first installed. I fixed it by blocking off the bottom of the chimney with wads of rock wool. A block off plate would work better probably but my solution was good enough for my issue. Edited to say: sorry I quoted the wrong poat

Reactions: begreen
Good call, I did the same thing, draft could be around, not inside, the chimney when not burning

Good call, I did the same thing, draft could be around, not inside, the chimney when not burning

Yeah, when it's all closed up i think the amount of air that comes thru the unit is negligible. It's hard to be sure though because I always have an updraft now even when the unit is stone cold.