Jotul 550 Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratemyjotul

Apr 28, 2011
Northern CA
Self-installed about a week ago, after several weeks of brickwork. I selected the Jotul based on what I learned on this forum.

Single wall stainless liner all the way up 13' high creek-rock chimney circa 1920 or so, nobody knows for sure.

The black thing is a heavy iron hood that is part of the original fireplace, so it had to stay. After placing the brick hearth below, there was just room enough between it and the bottom of the hood for the stove body. I get "secondary" heat from the exposed part of the hood, since there's no insulation between it and the stainless flue. Built the brick surround, dropped the liner, shoved in the stove. It has its own electrical outlet inside so no exposed cord. I will build a wood mantel on top later. Right now the whole house is being remodeled.

Like others, I find it takes some time to get the draft going, otherwise the fire goes out when I close the door. But leaving the door cracked open has a blowtorch effect on the fire that heats it up quick. I believe the combustion air range allowed by the control sider is narrow, like from "a little more air than necessary" to "a little less", which is why the chimney has to be drawing good to suck in enough air, especially with my short chimney.

Anyway I like it and look forward to next winter. Lots and lots of mature trees here and the firewood literally falls from the sky.

Attachments

• Jotul 550 Installation
    IMG_4070-2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 270
They always look nice, don't they. That will be all you need in No. Cal by my guess, unless you are in the mountains. It's great, a well made heater that does what it was made to do. Reliable and easy to use. Well done.

Welcome. That's a very nice looking install and a fine insert. It should do you well. Drop in come fall and let us know how it is working for you.

Very nice looking install. You will surely enjoy this coming winter when it's nice and toasty in your house. Keep us updated on how you are getting along with later on this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.