Jotul 550 viewing area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelecy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2010
Southern Indiana
I was looking through the Jotul C 550 Rockland brochure, and it mentioned that this unit "features one of the largest fire viewing areas of any comparably sized wood burning insert." Interesting claim. However, no where (that I could find) did it actually say what the viewing area is. Does anyone know? I'm interested in comparing it to some other inserts I'm considering. Thanks!

roughly 22 X 10 =220 square inches. It was one of our main factors in selecting this stove.

Thanks. That's pretty decent. The largest I've found is the VC Merrimack (350 in2), followed by the VC Montpelier (280 in2), QF Voyageur (275 in2), and Hearthstone Clydesdale (264 in2). I'm sure some of the "bay" window models are pretty large as well, but I'm looking for something more flush mounted.

How do you like your Jotul? What sort of "real world" burn times are you able to get?

Over all I am very happy with the stove. I personally think a stand alone unit will probably produce more heat because you also get radiant heat. Burn times vary a lot by the wood type and quality of seasoning. I probably averaget around 4 hours of burning at 500 to 700 degrees before it starts cooling, then I find it is better to open the air up. It is easy to operate, just one control. I can get a long overnight burn with Oak or Locust. What I find is if you rake the coals forward and put a large split in the back it will catch slower and therefore burn longer. In the morning I have coals, but really not much heat.

There are alot of Jotul fans on the forum. I have heard some people are not real happy with VC and the Hearthstones are really somewhat hard to heat up, people seem to rarely get them much above 500, but I am sure they look great and the stones retain some heat, just slower to warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.