Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
The surround on my 550 develops a rattle often. I have tried wedging some wood between it and the stone lintel and that works for a while then the rattle starts again. Could I use high temperature silicone as a dampener? If so do I attach the surround to the stone directly or do I make rods, let them cure and wedge these between the two?

Check the blower. It may be out of balance or its mounts loose. If the blower fan blades have not been cleaned in a while, now would be a good time to do it. If the rattle persists you could pull the insert out 1/4" to relieve contact between the surround and the stone.

The surround on my 550 develops a rattle often. I have tried wedging some wood between it and the stone lintel and that works for a while then the rattle starts again. Could I use high temperature silicone as a dampener? If so do I attach the surround to the stone directly or do I make rods, let them cure and wedge these between the two?

I've had the same problem with my new 550. I had to buy the surround/extension piece that sits behind the cast iron surround, and it rattles once things heat up. I folded aluminum foil into thick squares and wedged them between the rock of the fireplace and the surround. Seems to work pretty well...

Mine will go in and out of resonance a few times a day. It's not a rattle but an annoying buzz. It's like a game of Twister to get it to stop - right hand, surround, left hand fan cover, etc. I've given up on it and let it run its course.

Mine will go in and out of resonance a few times a day. It's not a rattle but an annoying buzz. It's like a game of Twister to get it to stop - right hand, surround, left hand fan cover, etc. I've given up on it and let it run its course.

X2

I use pieces of adhesive backed, self stick, stove gasket from the guy I bought the stove from. When her heard what I needed it for, he gave it to me for free. '... keep the customer happy...'

Status
Not open for further replies.