Jotul 600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santiago

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
ohio
What do you think of the Jotul 600? If you have one and are using it what do you think of the secondary burn tubes in the top portion of the burn box? Does it burn as well as other woodburners that use the downdraft secondary burn technology?

Generally the stove burns better than some downdraft stoves in that it is less fussy about draft. It will also have a bit nicer view of the fire.

I have had both a Defiant NC and now an F600. There is no comparison. The F600 wins hands down. The last two seasons with the Defiant was nothing but a headache of readjusting wood, futzing with opening and closing the damper, building a monster coal bed, checking the stack to see if the everburn kicked in, listening for a rumble, and generally fighting with the stove for every load to burn efficiently. Besides all the futzing, the defiant would frequently fart out smoke from every seem, no matter what we did. Besides the smoke explosions, we had to have the entire combustion package replaced the first year of burning. When it came time to do it again, the second year, we got rid of it.

This year, I load the F600 with wood, watch it burn and enjoy the heat. Although, I do have to adjust the air control. :smirk:

Interesting, "listening for a rumble". I have a VC Resolute Acclaim, non cat with secondary combustion. Sometimes, like last night, windy, it sounds like it rumbles. I have the damper closed and the air completely shutdown. Full load of ash, large pieces, were completely burned to nothing in 6 hrs. Although, wife did clean all ash from the stove yestewrday. I now see that you need some ash bed.

Interesting, "listening for a rumble". I have a VC Resolute Acclaim, non cat with secondary combustion. Sometimes, like last night, windy, it sounds like it rumbles. I have the damper closed and the air completely shutdown. Full load of ash, large pieces, were completely burned to nothing in 6 hrs. Although, wife did clean all ash from the stove yestewrday. I now see that you need some ash bed.

two questions about the 600.
1. in your experience, what do you feel is the burn time for this stove (I know, many factors, but if you put a number, what would it be?)
2. the Defiant lists heating capacity of 1200sf to 2400sf. do you know if the 600 lists a range of heating capacity?

The burn time is going to be based on a ton of factors. Do you have wood cut stacked and split? If so, for how long? It is listed as a "up to 12 hour burn" and "up to 2,500 sq ft".

Random thoughts . . .

I have the F-500 . . . I know, I know . . . you asked about the big brother to the Oslo . . . but the stoves are very similar except for size, single door vs. double door, etc. . . . they are similar in construction and burning tech.

Based on a couple of years of burning with the Oslo I would say if I had a larger space that needed heating I would go with the F-600 in a heartbeat . . . although I would like to see how large Woodstock's new stove will heat . . . but that's a few months out from now . . . Jotuls are work horses, freight trains if you would that once up and running will really pump out the heat.

Secondary burn tubes . . . they're pretty durable and work well . . . very nice light shows with the secondary combustion.

Burn time . . . as Jotulguy mentioned the burn time varies according to factors such as wood species, size of the wood, how well seasoned the wood is, how you run the stove, draft, how much wood is in the stove, etc. . . . but perhaps the biggest thing you really have to ask yourself first is how folks (and Jotul) define burn time . . . this is pretty subjective and even folks here cannot completely agree on what the definition of burn time is . . . is it from first light to when the last coal winks out of existence, is it when the stove reaches X degrees temp to when it falls below that temp, etc. For me, on the younger brother Oslo I get 6-7 hours of burn time typically . . . I would define this as the time between a reload during the evening to when I get up the next morning and rake the coals and find enough to put some small splits or kindling on top and have the wood ignite easily.

Sizing . . . take the sizing specs with a grain of salt . . . when the engingeers figure out how much space a stove will heat they may be using averages . . . it's hard to take into account individual situations. For example, a drafty 1910 farmhouse in The County here in Maine and an energy efficient home in South Carolina may have the same square footage but may need two very different sized stoves to meet their heating needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.