Jotul 602CB Installed....draft question ATTN 602 Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Pictures to come soon...

Iv'e been having a few "break in" fires. Burning dry construction wood, two 2x4's with the door closed, and the air intake all the way open my stove sounds like a blow torch.

It looks, and sounds like my quad insert sounds with a load of dry wood and the door cracked open on start up.

approx 22' flex liner for the chimney.

Do I need a damper? I don't know how the 602 is supposed to run.....

For a full fire I hear air coming in on most stoves, including the T6 when it's at full burn. On the Jotul, the air control is just a couple inches away from the fire. You will hear it. Start the fire with small 1" splits. As soon as the fire gets going, close the air control down at least halfway. Once the air control is closed down, it will be a bit quieter. After the secondary burn, it's pretty quiet.

As for the damper, it helps to have a thermometer on the stove and stove pipe so that you can regulate it more precisely and know how it is working. If the flue temps are very high, then it might need a damper, but I would get used to it first.

Regardless, burning construction scraps is going to make it run hot short fires. Do you have regular hardwood splits to burn as well?

I've burned a 602CB off and on for the last three years on two different chimneys, and under no circumstances have I ever had the air control fully open. Not once. I've had it maybe halfway open only a handful of times.

The manual doesn't explain the 602CB air systems very well. The front air control is not the primary air source; it is really for "startup" and "supplemental" air. The main air feed is a gap in the top of the doorglass that feeds the airwash. Inside the door near the top you'll see the little cast iron manifold which directs that air down over the glass. It's always on and not adjustable. Once the stove is warmed up and the fire is burning, that provides most of the air needed. Under normal conditions (i.e. once the stove and chimney are warmed up and burning well), the air control should be closed, or barely open.

Exceptions to this would be if it's not cold enough outside to develop a good draft. Then you'll need the air control open more. But I'm guessing your 22' flex drafts pretty well.

This post describes how to make sure the gap stays open: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13742/#154046

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.