Jotul 8

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris1927

Feb 15, 2016
Massachusetts
I just put a bid in on a house. The house has an existing Jotul 8. I am most likely going to replace this stove if I am fortunate enough to have my bid for the house accepted. But I am just wondering about this stove. It looks like it was discontinued in 1999? Is this stove a cat stove? I opened it up, and it doesn't look like it has any reburn tubes or anything at the top of the firebox. I looked it over a little bit, and it looks like it is in good shape. What kind of value does it have if I were to sell it? Should i consider keeping it if there's no issues with it? It looked like the stove pipe was a 6 inch pipe? Thanks for any feedback.

That's all I have for now. Not sure if those pics would help identify.

30392.jpg 41166.jpg

If there is nothing besides a simple baffle in it then it's an original model 8.

Well. I am not able to open it up and look at the moment. But, I just examined the different versions of the 8 on the link EbS-P posted earlier. It looks like the original 8. I don’t think there’s cat bypass damper on the side or left front, I don’t think there’s a draft slider at the front top right, and there’s no ash pan.

Reactions: EbS-P
So it looks in really good shape. I haven’t had a chance to inspect it. What do I look for for problems? Cracks? Does anyone have an idea of how many square feet this stove heats? I read somewhere (I think) that the Castine maybe replaced this stove?

If you get to contract step’s definitely get a chimney professional to do an inspection. It’s now a 30+ year old install. My guess is that it needs some attention.

Look for cracks and warped parts. If you can get in the roof a phone on a string down the chimney can tell you something.

All in all there many other aspects of a home purchase I’d be focusing on before the stove. A complete replacement is probably in the $10k range. Could be done for much less as a DIY.

Stove makes the home though in my opinion.
HVAC system is the mechanical system that would make or break a home for me. Just had all my ductwork replaced (not the unit) for $15k. Add another $10k for the compressor/evaporator.

Home buying is such an emotional decision. I let my wife talk an into a house that was way over priced, horribly laid out. Old AC and roof just because she liked the porch. It was an amazing porch. Thankfully there was an ongoing divorce and closing day came and went and it was clear they weren’t able to sell it to us. We dodged a bullet.

Got a better, bigger house in the end. It’s a business deal.

All houses are over priced at the moment. House solid. Roof good. Windows good, New oil burner. Well built. I just want a functioning wood stove, for Pete’s sake. Gotta get the house first.

Reactions: EbS-P