1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul American 3

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by sandie, Dec 3, 2011.

1. sandie

sandie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West of Boston, MA
    My brother has an older Jotul woodstove that they say is a Jotul American Series 3 and trying to find pricing for it, NO problems with it, used it while living in MA but now in apt so do not need the stove. I will buy it from him if he does not get the reasonable $$ but we are not sure what is reasonable. It heated his uninsulated garage he had as a family from when company came and it was really warm in there. I would love to have it but have the Vermont Casting Resolute circa 1985 but do not find I am getting the heat from it even though it is up to 700 degrees with Flu open but once I shut the flu it slowly goes down. I will talk about his on another post but do want to know a reasonable price to sell the Jotul for so my bro gets its worth from it.
    thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Moved both threads to the Classic Stove forum for more targeted responses.

If this is a Jotul F3 it's not bigger than the Resolute. I don't know it's exact capacity, but I would guess the Resolute to be about 50% greater. If the stove is in great condition it could be worth maybe $400? But read the other thread first. I think we need to understand the issue(s) first.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It's a nice stove. I sold them new for about $599 in black and $799+ in enamel. They were made about 1985-1990 or so.

I'd say if in excellent condition about 1/2 those new prices - 300 for black and 400 for enamel...at the higher retail end. Maybe $100 less to a friend.
  4. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    About 4 years ago I purchased a used Jotul 3 TD for $400. It was built in 1987, enamel coated, and in excellent condition. I've been very happy with the stove but only use it to heat a vacation home in spring and fall.

ChipTam