Jotul C450/Hearth/Liner Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wburke820

Nov 28, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hello,

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new insert (Jotul C450) only a few days left for the tax credit. We purchased a house over a year ago and one of the reasons we bought was because it had a masonry wood burning fireplace. Little did I know once it was inspected/swept, it was recommended that we do not burn in it. So that is why we are getting an insert. The existing hearth is only 14" deep and I know for this insert it has to be 18". The existing hearth is flush to the floor so what I am going to do is cut cement board to the dimensions of the new hearth and then lay brick facers over the cement board. My question is what would you all suggest using inside the existing fireplace to bring it up to the height of the new hearth? Could I just use some of the left over cement board to sit the insert on? Next, I will be using a 6" flue liner. When does a liner have to be insulated? Also, who online sells reasonably priced liner kits? My dealer is trying to sell me one for almost $800 (6" x 25").

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bill

Maybe my first post was too wordy. My questions are as follows:

1) How would I build up the inside of a fireplace to bring it up to the new height the hearth will be so the insert sits level? Can I use cement board inside the fireplace or would I have to use fire brick? Is cement board non-combustable?

2) When does a chimney liner have to be insulated?

Thanks again.

Bill

Bumping for more answers . . . or at least one answer.

For your first question . . . I believe you could use any non-combustible material to build up the level of the hearth for your stove . . . including cement board. I would most likely look for a product however like Durock or similar cement board that does not have any combustible fillers in it . . . I believe Durock (NextGen) is no longer technically approved for hearths, but it should be fine for your application.

No real answer on the chimney liner . . . not really my area of expertise . . . I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Thanks for the response. I think I found my answer about the liner insulation in an article on this site but any additional input would be appreciated.

I purchased my liner and insulation online for about 450. Installed myself
About 25 feet. Insulation is require to get your flue to code if it is not in good shape. My roof is fairly flat and was easy to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.