Jotul C550 Rockland Clearances ( Mantle and Side Wall)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geTula

Hearth Supporter
New here, but started reading you folks January 6th after spending $644 to fill my propane tank. Thanks for all the info. When I visited the only Fireplace shop within 100 miles, they commented that I had come in with about 10 times more information than most customers have.

I am curious as to why the Jotul Rockland has such extreme clearance requirements. I can understand the requirements for the mantle since it is a flush mount, but am perplexed by the side wall clearance of 54" from stove centerline. This would translate to about 39" from the edge of the stove. Other inserts are much less. The Hearthstone Clydsdale in 12" from the edge of the stove. Both of these advertise a heat output of 60,000 BTU/hr. I don't have a side wall near the fireplace, but do have a TV armoire that is 44" from fireplace centerline and with my open concept house, that is the only place it can be.

I had narrowed my search down to the Rockland and the Clydsdale, but it is probably a non- issue since there is not a dealer anywhere close that has a Rockland on display and I will not buy anything I can't look at and lay my hands on. As you can imagine, there aren't many fireplace dealers in my part of the world. The only fireplace shop is about 110 miles away. There are others (85 - 110 miles away) that sell stoves and inserts, but they are primarily in the central air/heat business, so they don't have much for display.

If anyone can enlighten me on this, I will be forever in your debt. Thanks in advance.
Live Oak Burner

I'm surprised that I haven't gotten a comment from a Jotul Rockland owner or dealer on this question on the extreme clearance requirements. Surely someone has run into this before.

Live Oak Burner said:
I'm surprised that I haven't gotten a comment from a Jotul Rockland owner or dealer on this question on the extreme clearance requirements. Surely someone has run into this before.

I have one, but side clearances were not an issue for me, mantle clearance was, the $70 mantle shield solved that. Bottom line is that if you get it inspected by your local municipality, which some insurers require, they use the manufacturers recommendations as bible. My inspector looked at the manual, measured it out, and signed off. Never checked my chimney or opened the stove. Told him I had a SS liner, which I do, he took my word for it.

I have the Rockland and decided to disregard the side clearance. I have about 34" from center and can't see how it would be possible for the bookcase I have at he end of the hearth to catch fire. It sure can't be from the heat. I think the surround would melt before the bookcase got hot enough to combust. As far as the inspection goes, I don't know if I need one. I called my town permit office everyday for almost 2 weeks to see if I needed one. Never got an answer, left several messages, and never got a call back. I took that to be a "NO" As far as the C550 goes- its a great stove. I drove 130 miles to save $400 bucks compared to several local dealers. I don't think you would be dissapointed with it. But to answer your question about the extreme side clearance- no idea.

I have a 550 and clearance on the sides - from center to combustibles - is about 38". I didn't have to have it inspected and am not worried about my book case catching fire either....The insert does totally sit inside a solid brick fireplace and the bricks heat up but no where near enough to do any damage what-so-ever. My sweep is a fireman with more than 30 years experience and didn't think it would be a problem.

I did buy the heat shield due to mantle clearance and that solved that 'problem'.

Thanks Sen. John, spencer, and perplexed for the real world actual experience (finest kind). Since I am 8 miles from the nearest town, my issue would be with my insurance should I have a fire caused by the insert. I don't have to worry about an inspection. In fact our house was never inspected when it was being built. Think I may try to find a Rockland to look at. The dealer in San Angelo advertises Jotul but doesn't stock them. Could probably talk him into ordering one for me if I decide to go that way. Still like the Clydsdale, so I can't go wrong with either on of them.

Thanks again,
Live Oak Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.