Jotul Castine rear heat sheild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I can't beleive we're rolling into burning season #2.....

Some of you may remember my setup. The Castine is corner mounted on a concrete pad. Behind the stove, someone built a rock wall (for lack of a better term) and cemented the rocks to the foundation. For a home job, it looks good. The reast of the lower level is insulated with foam board and fiberglass batts, covered by tounge and grove pine.

My father inlaw and I were talking. He was thinking there's a decent amount of heat loss from behind the stove; going into the rocks and then the foundation. He suggested putting some metal behind the stove to reflect the heat. I thought about just installing the rear heatsheild.

Think it'll help reflect more heat into the room?

I know the back wall with my Oslo is not that hot due to the rear heat shield . . . I suspect it takes the radiated heat waves and bounces them back at the stove/into the room . . . I also suspect that the rear heat shield may work a bit like a convection heater . . . but that's just a guess from a dumb firefighter. All I know for sure is that I wanted the rear heat shield for the close clearances (although I'm actually out a couple or three inches from the minimum), I liked the safety aspect and it was cheap enough and easy enough for me to install . . . .

Don't sell yourself short Jake! You've made a lot of good posts around here.

The area behind the stove actually gets pretty warm. My thought is the rocks are pretty good at holding heat. The stove is a good 12"+ away from the stone. I think I'll toss the heat sheild on there and see what happens. After all, the sheild is just laying around, doing nothing.

Skier76 said:
Don't sell yourself short Jake! You've made a lot of good posts around here.

The area behind the stove actually gets pretty warm. My thought is the rocks are pretty good at holding heat. The stove is a good 12"+ away from the stone. I think I'll toss the heat sheild on there and see what happens. After all, the sheild is just laying around, doing nothing.

Well if you already have the rear heat shield I would most definitely try it out and see if it makes any difference . . . only takes a few minutes to put on and if you don't like the results you can always easily remove it.

You know, it's easier to search for your own posts when you don't make spelling errors in the thread title. :lol:

I installed the shield this weekend. However, the Castine comes with the bottom heat shield. Again, figured it won't hurt. Is there a specific rear sheild? Maybe I'll pick one up.

Installing the bottom shield was easy: unbend it, two bolts...done. Although, the USA instructions don't have any pics; the Euro version does.

The rocks act as a heat sink don't they? they hold extra heat kinds like soap stone......

I was thinking that this weekend. Between the foundation block and the rocks/cement, there's gotta be a good 8-10" of thickness there. While I'm sure some heat is getting out, I'd think it would probably be a lot less than say an uninsulated timber frame wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.