Jotul F100 - custom hearth pad!?!?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkies

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Connecticut
First time at this so please bare with me. I am thinking about purchasing a Jotul F100 for my small living room. I'm tight on space and the F3CB is just a little too big (actually the heath would be too big). Not looking to completely heat my place (house is 1100 sq. feet well insulated, new renovation, old house) but add warmth and offset conventional heat. The stove will be positioned in a corner with unprotected walls. One of the walls is only 49inches then a door opening into dining room. I can't fined a pre-fab hearth pad that will fit all the required dimensions so I've contact a few masons to give me a quote on installing a custom hearth pad. I'm looking to put down bluestone with an oak trim.

Any words of advice for me as I move forward? The few masons I have spoken with don't seem to have much experience in hearth pad copnstruction so I'm getting a little nervous.

Any advice would help. Thanks

Thanks for help. In addition, this model Jotul doesn't have a screen attachment - does anyone know of a way around this, maybe sold as seperately?

wkies said:
Thanks for help. In addition, this model Jotul doesn't have a screen attachment - does anyone know of a way around this, maybe sold as seperately?

Burn in it a while and think about if you even want it. The F100 has such a great view of the fire I can't think of why anybody would want to burn it open.

One of the reason I was origianlly looking at the Jotul F3CB was it had the screen for those times that you wanted to have the ambiance of a fireplace. BUt the hearth extension is too big for the samll space and therefore I leaning toward the F100. I was hoping there was after market attachment the would allow for a screen. Not sure if it would affect the draw of the stove but just hoping something is out there.

wkies said:
One of the reason I was origianlly looking at the Jotul F3CB was it had the screen for those times that you wanted to have the ambiance of a fireplace. BUt the hearth extension is too big for the samll space and therefore I leaning toward the F100. I was hoping there was after market attachment the would allow for a screen. Not sure if it would affect the draw of the stove but just hoping something is out there.

The screen I bought with my F3 has been used exactly once. For about thirty minutes and I hung it on the wall and closed the door. Three years ago where it still resides. Snap, crackle and pop with no heat was cute for a few minutes. Closed the door and sat back and got warm and watched the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.