Jotul F100-- temperature and shielding questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just had a Jotul F100 installed in our 800 sq foot living area. This is my first ever wood stove, and it is awesome so far! It is installed on a durock / tile floor, and is set away from a corner 4" MORE than specified for the combustible setback corner measurements listed in the manual. The manual lists 10" from the corner and we have 14" on each corner. The corner is simply drywall over plaster over lath over stud wall. Last night in the 3rd break-in fire, the wall at the corners got almost too hot to touch. It was alarming how hot it was! We never did get the stove up to 400º (it peaked at about 375º before we slid the air control over to tone down the fire. First of all, is this "normal"? Second, if not, should we install a shield of some sort? Rather than install a durock / tile surround behind with 1" spaces, would it be ok to make a 24 gauge steel hinged 3 panel screen on "legs" that we set behind the stove between the stove and the wall? Using just large cookie trays standing in clamps a few inches from each corner of the stove last night almost immediately knocked down the temp on the walls from too hot to touch to warm but not hot, so I reason that the more permanent "seasonal" screen would do the trick as well.

If this is not adequate, we will go with the full on permanent install, but will not be as happy with the aesthetics of the area. I have a blacksmith locally who can make the screen for a reasonable price so that is certainly my preference, but I want to do it
right so that when we get the stove to 600º it will be "ok".

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

I endorse a 24 gauge shield on legs. It gives peace of mind. It does keep the wall cooler which will reduce heat flow through the wall. If it falls or is moved, you are still compliant with the stove clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.