Jotul F3 CB -- big enough to heat 400 sq foot uninsulated garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bulldogprof

Sep 2, 2017
Connecticut
Hello,

I'm still learning about woodstoves, so thanks for your help! I just bought a used Jotul F3 CB to heat a freestanding, uninsulated 400 square foot garage that I've been using as a study. We live in Connecticut where the winters can be harsh, so I'd love to hear from some folks with experience whether they think my new stove will do the trick. Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

The garage has two windows in addition to two garage doors, which I intend to seal as much as possible with weather stripping, spray foam, etc.

Thanks, everyone!

Maybe in milder weather, but not likely in zero degree weather unless you insulate. It takes a lot of firepower to heat a space up from cold temps because it not only is heating the air, but all the mass that is in the space too, including walls, floor and ceiling. Insulating will help. Also, be sure it's allowed to put a stove in this space by the local inspecting authority. Stoves in garages are not allowed in many jurisdictions.

I wouldn't try to heat an uninsulated space in Connecticut. It's a losing person's game. The heat goes out constantly and quickly. If you plan to make it warm in the winter, insulate it first.

Thanks for the advice. It might be foolhardy, but I'm going to try to use this space through most of the year. Does anyone have any experience heating a space of roughly this size during winter (without insulation)?

Uninsulated- better have 3 to 4 times whats necessary to have a realistic chance. Asking this in CT, out of a 3cb is a lot. One can always try, none of us really know until you do. Good luck with her.

Uninsulated- better have 3 to 4 times whats necessary to have a realistic chance. Asking this in CT, out of a 3cb is a lot. One can always try, none of us really know until you do. Good luck with her.
I'm in Mass, so not too far from you.
I run a 602cb Jotul in an un-insulated, stone wall basement in a space about 600 ft2 with a 6ft ceiling. I run an oil burner as primary heat. The woodstove will raise the basement temp about 10 degrees F. In short, because of the combination of the basement itself and the fact that I left some heating pipe un-insulated, the basement stays about 53 degrees without the woodstove. With the wood stove running for several hours, the basement gets up at about 70F. The rest migrates thru the floor to the upstairs. There is no interior access to the basement--- down the bulkhead is the only way.

If I were to heat a garage with a wood stove, I would find a way to put in some loft/attic type insulation. Without that there's no way you're going to get the area up to 75F. As a side note---the mfg heating size ratings (so many ft2) are complete BS. Too many variables and unlike gas or oil, there's no consistent heat output or distribution. They rated the 602 at over 800 ft2, but if I had to guess I's say it's more like 300-400 in an insulated area in the cold weather. I run the stove at about 500-550 F measured on the top plate... I reload about every 1.5- 2 hrs at about 300-350 F temp by then. I've run this stove several years and have it down to a science. I'd be looking for a way to put roof level insulation in (about 9" fiberglass would do it). Don't worry about the wall area----too high an expense/ time for payback. If you insulate the upper area you will be shocked at the difference in heating the area and comfort. If you don't expect that area to be about 55 degrees in the coldest weather. The 3cb is rated higher than my stove but not that much higher. Do yourself a favor and put in a cheap insulated ceiling area.