Jotul F400 Double Door Model Air Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I recently purchased a used F400 and the air control lever doesn't seem to be attached to anything. I decided to pull the cover to investigate and there seems to be an intake control plate missing. Can someone tell me what part I need and where I can get it? I took the doors off of it to move it, but the stove minus the doors and ash lip are in the other photo. I also need a replacement ash pan wrench as your basic socket wrench just isn't cutting it.

IMG_0594.jpgIMG_0595.jpg

Yup, missing the air slider valve. A good Jotul dealer should be able to provide or order a replacement.
It looks like Woodmans sells it too. They may also have the ashpan door handle parts.

Yup, missing the air slider valve. A good Jotul dealer should be able to provide or order a replacement.
It looks like Woodmans sells it too. They may also have the ashpan door handle parts.
Thanks, BG! The folks at Woodmans Parts Plus seem to have what I need, however as they explained to me they are a parts distributor only and don't have a technical department. I seem to just need the air slider, but is there anything else in there that might be missing? The access cover had a bolt on either side and a long bolt in the middle that I suppose attaches to the air slider? I have the metal control lever as shown in my photo.

As for the handle, I have the square 12mm bolt for both the double doors and the ash pan door. I'm not quite sure which handle or handle assembly I need and if I need a separate handle for each.

I don't recall the slider attaching to anything, but it's been 16 yrs. since I had the doghouse cover off on our F400. IIRC, it just floats in the track between the guides. Dust the track with graphite powder first for smooth operation.

If I also recall correctly there were two different doghouse covers for this stove. One for the US and one for Europe. The European one had EUR cast on the top and I think that had a center air hole (no bolt). Just 2 bolts hold it down.

Reactions: EbS-P
I received the air slider and it fits and seems to work great. However, I also ordered a handle for the front doors and it doesn't seem to be the correct one. Attached are pics of the front and back of the door bolt and the handle I received. Any thoughts on this? I'd like to get the correct handle. The same bolt is on the ash pan door, so I'm guessing there is one removable handle that operates both.

IMG_0601.jpg IMG_0602.jpg IMG_0603.jpg

153286. Is the part number of the stove tool. It's like an 8mm allen wrench w a wood handle. Woodmans has it.

The double-door F400s are rare and the door handle may be rarer. What is the width of the square bolt head? I'm wondering if a 1/2 pipe plug socket would fit the square end? Otherwise, I'm wondering if this Firelight replacement handle would work?

Last edited:
128359. Is the part number for the regular latch bolt which will replace that weird square deal. Then you can ise the regular Jotul tool.

The width is about 10mm and a 12mm socket fits snugly. Are you saying the square bolt is not original to the stove?

Last edited:
It is original and the tool is rare. We had another thread on this years back. Stovelark might remember.
The width is about 10mm and a 12mm socket fits snugly. Are you saying the square bolt is not not original to the stove?
It sounds like a 7/16" pipe plug socket might work. It will have a standard 1/2" socket on the other end. If you put it on a short 1/2" breaker bar you'll have a tool. Here's an example on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B006L23G0WAmazon product ASIN B07XXYJ11H

Last edited:
It is original and the tool is rare. We had another thread on this years back. Stovelark might remember.

It sounds like a 7/16" pipe plug socket might work. It will have a standard 1/2" socket on the other end. If you put it on a short 1/2" breaker bar you'll have a tool. Here's an example on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B006L23G0WAmazon product ASIN B07XXYJ11H
I don't think the pics loaded, but a search shows it looks like an impact socket. I'm not going to swap out the fittings in the interest of keeping the stove original, but I'd like to have the original tool if anyone knows where to order one. I'll settle for a socket wrench for now. Thanks again!

The width is about 10mm and a 12mm socket fits snugly. Are you saying the square bolt is not not original to the stove?

I don't think the pics loaded, but a search shows it looks like an impact socket. I'm not going to swap out the fittings in the interest of keeping the stove original, but I'd like to have the original tool if anyone knows where to order one. I'll settle for a socket wrench for now. Thanks again!
Sounds like an Ad Blocker is preventing the Amazon links from showing.
Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 6.24.55 PM.png

It is original and the tool is rare. We had another thread on this years back.

You can actually still order the tool. I had to special order through my local dealer, and he had to call for the part no because its not listed. But he got it for me, cost around $75. And this was in late 2021.

Heres a photo-

49505A7F-67B9-439B-8F52-86F070EA43D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen