Jotul F45 vs Jotul F400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefin039

Jan 29, 2016
Niantic, CT
I am looking at buying two wood stoves. A used F400 around 5 years old and a used F45 around two years old. I do not have the side clearance for loading an Oslo and I can find no used F55's.

I recently sold my F3 and need a bigger stove. I was wondering which on of these stoves would be better for me. 1700 SF house. I still run my oil a little, but my F3 dropped my oil bil to about 1/3 or less of what it once was.

I am just looking for a comparison of these two stoves and which one people like better. Important things to me would be burn times. Looking for a stove thats easy to use and has long burn times. My budget is limiting me to about 800-900 bucks and these are the best choices I have found for the money.

Both will be an improvement in burn times over the F3, but I agree that a larger stove would be better for 1700 sq ft in CT. The F400 will give you 4-6 hr burn times with some coals after 8 hrs.. unless it's being pushed hard on very cold days. Not sure about the F45, but I would expect similar results. Alternatively you could pick up a new Englander stove in the 3.0 cu ft range for that price.

I was really impressed with 45. We have a few out in the field and the people love em. They seem way less finicky about draft and are more responsive from what I've seen.

Thank you for the responses. I was about to buy a new F45 because of the August Jotul deals when someone who lived near me was moving and needed to get rid of a 2 year old F500 Oslo. I did not think I was going to have clearance for the side door, but I had a few more inches than required. About 39-40" to combustibles. I picked it up for $900 bucks and could not be happier.

I had a Oslo at my first house, ran it for five years. I heated 1500 sq feet very easily with it. It's a great stove a true work horse you will love it nice grab!

Thank you for the responses. I was about to buy a new F45 because of the August Jotul deals when someone who lived near me was moving and needed to get rid of a 2 year old F500 Oslo. I did not think I was going to have clearance for the side door, but I had a few more inches than required. About 39-40" to combustibles. I picked it up for $900 bucks and could not be happier.
Man! Heck of a deal! I've 2 Oslos at different times and loved them. Very nice stoves!

Excellent bluefin. That is a well-loved stove and a good looking workhorse. Feed it dry wood and provide it a proper flue and you will be toasty all winter long.

Once in awhile I think about getting a different stove than the Oslo . . . but then I realize it has been reliably heating my home since 2008 and the only thing I've had to do other than the normal cleaning is replace a couple of gaskets. It's a very good woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.