Jotul F500- Will it do the job?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Okay, forgive me for sounding like a newbie... but how easy is it to control the heat output, and how likely is it that it burns me out of the room; being that it has a heating capacity of 2,500 sqft? Not really sure how a convection stove and the standard cast iron stove differ in heating ability.
Less wood in = less heat out. That includes reloading. Just put on one or two logs on the reload. Or let the fire go out if the weather is mild and the sun is warming up the house. The air control position will also affect stove temp. Our stove will cruise at about 500 with the air control fully closed and shut down quickly, but we ran it at 650F a couple weeks ago when it was cold by opening up the air a bit more to around 25% and running the blower.

What you're calling "standard" would be called a radiant stove. A convective stove gives off more of its heat as hot air. Radiant heat is what can give you that feeling of being cooked by the stove.
Yes, a radiant stove is more like the sun. You feel it directly from the stove. It's line of sight, even across the room. Convection stoves heat up the air which circulates throughout the house the best it can depending on the layout. A blower often assists convection.

I got a little F3CB on the main floor of @ 1200 feet. it works pretty well for the most part, especially when i'm home. i love it. burn times, like you said, could be longer but if you put oak in it at night time and close it down, it will last almost to morning. for my basement, i have a PE summit which has a blower. when it gets down to about 15, the Jotul can't handle the back rooms too so i start the summit and after 12-24 hrs it has heated the floor and helps with the Jotul bringing back rooms to a comfortable day temp. my basement, when not heated only gets to about 55 degrees, great for working out. when the summit is running, it comes up to about 80 with the blower recirculating the air.
have you considered Blaze King? The princess might be a nice fit. I thought about it but got the summit instead. my local dealers didn't carry them at the time.

We have friend heating 24/7 with only the Summit in a 1600 sq ft home up north. The heat the place comfortably whether it's 60 outside or 10ºF. It's mostly a matter of learning your stove and how to run it.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I bit the bullet...

Attachments

• Jotul F500- Will it do the job?
    IMG_6158.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 342
How's it heating for you?

What is the stove venting into? Is there an insulated wall thimble?

Not sure if that's the place for the thermometer. Might want to put it on the stove itself if it's like my thermometer.

Not sure if that's the place for the thermometer. Might want to put it on the stove itself if it's like my thermometer.
Manual says you can run it using the flue temp, and that the thermometer will react faster to changes if it's on the pipe. I use mostly flue temp to run my little Keystone. I can light off the cat with the stove top well below the recommended 250*, if I get the flue temp to X degrees for X amount of time. But the OP appears to have double-wall pipe there, so I'm not sure how well that will work...lower temps will be seen than they indicate in the manual. http://woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/ProgressManual/operation.pdf

I had three thermometers on the stove; one of the soap stone, one of the cast iron near the flu and one ok the stack. I've removed all but one, and use the temp on the one next to the stack on the cast iron. So far it's been burning very well, and I haven't had to use any other heat source in the house in 3 weeks. However, I recently started having a back puffing issue and a strong smell of smoke in the house... I think the combusted might need to be cleaned..

I conquer the Oslo 500 comments stated. But as long as you can use the side door for loading there is no issue. Actually any large front door loader is a bit of an issue. The side door is sweet. The sticky air control is not an issue if you use the side door. Nice mid size stove.

I would have the stove on the living floors. The basement is a tough spot to get heat out of. There needs to be cold air sent down before heat will rise.

So location first and then size.

However, I recently started having a back puffing issue and a strong smell of smoke in the house... I think the combusted might need to be cleaned..

Better take a look at the flu. Check the cap specifically. If the condition (back puffing) has developed over the coarse of a few weeks I would be questioning your wood moisture content. Any chance you got into some wetter wood? Chances of a plugged combuster are very slim.

Cleaned the combuster, was not at all dirty. Wood I'm burning is the same I've been burning for the past month; all delivered in one load. The chimney was cleaned and has only been burned in since i installed the stove, so I don't think it's clogged. The smoke is coming out stressing from the stack...

Cleaned the combuster, was not at all dirty. Wood I'm burning is the same I've been burning for the past month; all delivered in one load. The chimney was cleaned and has only been burned in since i installed the stove, so I don't think it's clogged. The smoke is coming out stressing from the stack...

Good to hear the cat was fine. Still no real idea what the moisture content of the wood is? All things considered. Not much, other than your wood that will make smoke;) Easy enough to verify how cured your supply is. Grab a moisture meter at almost any box store or likely any good hardware outlet. You may be surprised at what it tells you. Food for thought.

Don't know if that would help with your smoke situation. My PH has one, the only smoke situation was when I smelled a faint smoke which led me to clean the cat (you mentioned that all is clean on yours). My brother is about to install a Woodstock Keystone in a new structure. I'm doing electrical and am totally impressed with the carpentry workmanship. This place is tight as a drum. Then I tell him he needs to run a 4 inch air intake, an easy 2 foot run. Then he says he doesn't like the aesthetics. Lets just say we have never voted for the same candidate. I had to remind him that if he uses the dryer (same floor) and/or the bathroom fan he may not be happy with the results. I think I convinced him. Something to consider.