Jotul firelight comparison help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinaj

Feb 22, 2015
Brookline nh
hello . I'm looking for a used jotul 600 on Craigslist and this firelight popped up .
Is there more than one firelight model ?
I googled firelight and both firelight 12 and firelight 600 came up .
Anyone know the difference between the two ?
This is the image of the stove that's for sale . image.png

Jotul Firelight 12 catalytic model 1993-1999, replaced by non cat Firelight 12CB (cleanburn) 1999-2002-2003, had a side door (RSF) and front double doors, like the cat model. The cat model was top loading and front loading. The F600 came out in 2002-2003 with side door handle and different ash door handle. The model has seen little change since, still is Jotul's premiere large cast iron stove. The 12 and the F600 look the same outside, but inside the non cat has a bigger firebox, more heating capacity (2.9Cft firebox) and higher btus (83000 btu for the current model). Hope this helps, parts are still readily available for the Firelight 12CB and F600, some parts are still available for the Firelight 12 catalytic.

I have been burning my Model 12 for the last 7 years. Great stove. Some things to check for this particular stove before you buy are that the doors are not warped, the burn plate (bolted onto the inside back panel - it is the decorative cover that shields the CAT-chamber. I would make sure that is not warped or cracked, and most definitely check the refractory box - very delicate material which if damaged is very expensive to replace. Also with any CAT stove you have to replace the CAT every so often. With this particular stove, if you put a Condar CAT in there it will expand and crack the refractory box. Perhaps this is why they are selling it. Ask if they have replaced the CAT recently. If they say yes, more than likely it was with a CONDAR since those are the only ones available for this stove, and more than likely it expanded and cracked the refractory box. With the CONDAR cats they expand and you cannot pull the old CAT out. A properly fitting CAT should slide in and out easily without any resistance.You can mod a CONDAR to work, but its a bit of a pain.

For 700.00, if all those things are good, I would offer them 550.00, if it is really mint, pay the 700. I believe the stove retailed for around 2000.00 in 1999. Not sure what they are now. Good luck.

Here ya go.... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/getting-used-to-my-jotul-f600.9295/

Last edited:
The Firelight in the above pix is a Firelight 12 cat. (The silver foot pedal lower right opens the top of the stove to load). Used, the cat Firelight still commands a good price. Painted black with the interior cat chamber, cat itself and the rear burn plate in good shape usually sells for upwards to about 1000 up here. A new Firelight F600 is about 2950 MSRP, painted black. The enamels are around 3450 MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.