jotul firelight parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colinmos

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2007
Hello,

I just bought a used jotul firelight that needs about $500 in parts. At this point I feel I paid too much and cant justify spending another $500. I was hoping to be able to negotiate a good deal with a supplier that is willing to give me cost on half of the parts and full price on the other half.

This waywe both win.

I have the jotul plant just down the street from me but they wont sell to me because im not a dealer. I could go to the plant and pick up the parts with a dealer authorization, I think?

Thanks for your help

Is it a gas or wood Firelight? What parts are screwed up?

"I was hoping to be able to negotiate a good deal with a supplier that is willing to give me cost on half of the parts and full price on the other half."

Too early right now. Tonight I will slug down a couple of shots of Scotch to try to understand the logic in that half and half proposition. As to negotiating on new Jotul parts, good luck.

Jotul firelight wood stove

Rear burn plate 103327
Inner back burn plate 103330
catalyst chamber cover 04-128455
catalyst chamber 04-128454
catalyst chamber bottom 04-128456

What I was proposing with the statment half the parts at cost and half the parts at full price was another way of saying Ill give you half your profit. I just thought it sounded more appealing.

What is his incentive to sell parts at half profit?? I costs him to order and handle parts and to run his business, we all gotta make a certain margin. Good luck with your endeavour. I'm sure someone will bite sooner or later.

Half profit is better than no profit because The sale wont happen otherwise

If it were my business, I would refuse the deal is all I'm saying. Gotta make my margin - or go out of business. I would have to pay someone to call in the order, recieve the order, ship the order to you, etc etc. I'd rather that guy be working on a full profit sale then a half profit sale any day.

I know what your saying I just dont think everybody is so busy that they would walk away from a sale even if it wasnt full profit.
Besided they would spend the same amount of time selling a $100 part and make less profit than my deal would yeild.

colinmos said:
I know what your saying I just dont think everybody is so busy that they would walk away from a sale even if it wasnt full profit.
Besided they would spend the same amount of time selling a $100 part and make less profit than my deal would yeild.

I provide discounts and freebies to charities and educational institutions. I also provide discounts for volume purchases. But
you're asking for a discount because you feel you paid too much for your stove.

The other thing to consider is the difference between net profit and gross profit. A big chunk of that difference goes
to paying rent, wages, taxes, insurance, etc.

Im asking for a discount because otherwise this stove is going to be burned the way it is. I understand the economics of running a business but rent ,insurance etc are fixed costs that dont fluctuate with sales.
If I were a dealer Id do it. I just wouldnt make it common knowledge.

Heres my phone # 207-939-6184 for anyone interested.

I have a jotul firelight 12, probably made in 2004, with warped plates and innerback. This sounds common for that model. The dealer has not been to helpful, saying jotul told him the five year warranty does not apply! From reading other blogs, Ive got similar complaints as others with this same model. Does anyone know how I can reach jotul directly, I can find no contact info on the web. And, if i replace these warped plates, won't the new ones warp too? I'm the one who loads the stove and I know it's not been overfired or misused in any way.

Jotuls regular and 800 number were posted on a thread a day or two ago - but they will probably refer you to the dealer. But if your dealer is not being helpful - of other circumstances are in effect (dealer gone, you moved, etc.), they will refer you to the area rep who should get you taken care of. Most parts should be under warranty although some companies do exempt certain burn plates, liners, glass, etc. - There is lots of contact info on the web! Google Jotul North America and you will come up with many listings.

As far as the reason for warpage or whether the new ones will, that depends on a lot of factors. Tell us about your setup, the chimney, how much wood you burn in a year, and how the stove is used (24/7=?, etc.)......

as to the person seeking a deal, hey it never does any harm to ask........most dealers would turn you down....just based on that any time spent with you at this time of year is adding to their 60+ hours, so they should get triple overtime pay, not less money! On the other hand, if you came in my old shop and we liked you, we might have made a deal just to assure your future business and good word of mouth. But there is also a risk in ordering parts for people. I can't tell you how many times we ended up eating parts because someone ordered or shipped the wrong stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.