jotul fresh air adaptor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

soilrehab

Nov 27, 2018
Southwest Virginia
This is a question about how the Jotul fresh air adapter (Part #156408) is designed to operate. I'm aware of the ongoing debate about whether these devices are worthwhile or desirable (more so now then when I had this installed unfortunately.) But at this point I have a new stove (Jotul F 3 CB) with the air adapter already installed and connected to a duct leading to the outside, and I'm just trying to figure out how it works.

When I specified that I wanted this installed with the stove, I was assuming it would be one of the direct to combustion chamber type of air supplies, but I don't see how this could possibly be. The primary air intake and its control lever is located at the front of the stove over the door. But this fresh air adapter connects to the heat shield on the back of the stove. I can't really see what's going on back there, but don't think there's any direct connection to the firebox.

So is this just a passive air inlet that's only going to draw air in if air pressure in the room drops? Is the idea here that the air will at least get heated as it comes in next to the heat shield. I guess if that's it, then this is better than just a passive air inlet in another part of the building envelope.

Some background: This is a new house, first heating season. We built it extremely tight (blower door test: ACH50 of 1.6). There's a separately ducted ERV providing fresh air any time we have the windows closed. I crack a window anytime I use the range exhaust fan or dryer. What I don't want is air being sucked in through the walls. I'm OK introducing a little controlled leakage.