Jotul GF400DV gas smell before ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CHC

Sep 10, 2023
Brevard nc
I just installed a Jotul GF400DV. The pilot has been lit for a day and we ran it last night and it seemed to run well with no gas smell other than a tiny amount when lighting the pilot and first starting the unit. I pracitcally had my head under the unit trying to smell for gas and it was faint and passed after a few mintues of running. I tested all the house to unit connections with copious amounts of Calblue as well. We turned it off and just had the pilot running over night and when I turned in on in the morning to test it again it did not ignite despite the pilot running, then we smelled gas, not a room full but occasionally a whiff so I turned off the burner button.
My unprofessional opinion is that it tried to ignite and did not and the gas leaked out of the unit but I an no expert. I am considering bringing someone out to check out the unit. Is it unusual to smell some gas before the burner ignites?
Heath