Jotul NR1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverstone

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
Northwest Michigan
hi there,

anyone have experience with a Jotul NR1? i've got one here in good shape and am planning to use for supplemental heat and/or refurbish it just because it seems rare and interesting to have around. it's sort of a teardrop shape with three legs and a door that swings down and slides on a track under the stove for loading and, i guess, for fire viewing. there's hardly a mention at all online, though there was recently one for sale on the UK craigslist and pictures showed a small screen that could be placed on the front with the door down so it would act as a kind of small open fireplace. basically, i'm running blind here, and wonder if anyone knows where a manual could be had, or parts/screen, etc.? and anyone that may have used one or heard about one, what are things to consider? this stove will vent in the back or on top, and the inner baffle swings from one position to the other, depending on which is used. any thoughts on which is better? again, this will be supplemental or for hobby/show as the burn time is no doubt very short with such a small firebox, and wood has to be 14" or smaller to lie flat.

thanks from a new member--it's great to have this resource!

Jotul NR1
Jotul 118
Superior Fireplace insert with pickups and fans

Attachments

• jotul_no1.jpg
    jotul_no1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,147
that's it, begreen. i was going on the writing stamped on the inside of the stove, which was NR1. that's great to know--anyone here have thoughts on rear venting versus top venting? i'm sure venting from the top will give a much better draw, but it'd be nice to use the top for a kettle, and i thought i might try rear venting with a tee rather than an elbow, if that's possible.

stovepartsplus lists a "bottom burn plate"--anyone know what this is and where it goes? doesn't look like something i have, unless it's a structural piece that i just don't recognize. i'm especially in the market for a screen and a new handle--mine is missing the plastic--if anyone knows of other sources.

thanks!

Riverstone said:
that's it, begreen. i was going on the writing stamped on the inside of the stove, which was NR1. that's great to know--anyone here have thoughts on rear venting versus top venting? i'm sure venting from the top will give a much better draw, but it'd be nice to use the top for a kettle, and i thought i might try rear venting with a tee rather than an elbow, if that's possible.

stovepartsplus lists a "bottom burn plate"--anyone know what this is and where it goes? doesn't look like something i have, unless it's a structural piece that i just don't recognize. i'm especially in the market for a screen and a new handle--mine is missing the plastic--if anyone knows of other sources.

thanks!

You can use either top or rear venting in a stove that allows it, but generally speaking the method should be used that will give you the fewest bends in your flue... Keep in mind that each 90* bend equates to about a 5 FOOT reduction in your effective flue height.

Thus rear vents are usually used only when going straight out the back of the stove into a fireplace, where you "T" into a liner that goes up, or similar setups. If you have a straight up pipe, or a thimble high on the wall, you are better off going top vent.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.