Jotul Oslo Burn Time - And how do you define burn time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfetone

Apr 29, 2014
MA
Hi all,

So firstly I'm wondering how you are all defining "burn time"
It could be variable from person to person or does it depend on the stove temp ???

Secondly, my new Jotul Oslo could do with being refilled after 6 or 6.5 hours....is that the norm for the rest of you Oslo users?

Hi all,

So firstly I'm wondering how you are all defining "burn time"
It could be variable from person to person or does it depend on the stove temp ???

Secondly, my new Jotul Oslo could do with being refilled after 6 or 6.5 hours....is that the norm for the rest of you Oslo users?

If you're looking to maintain stove top temps of 350+ then yes, the 6 hour mark is pretty much the max. I routinely load at 10 pm and reload at 6 am with enough coals for a fairly easy re lite. The first hour is usually to get it going, then 1 1/2 - 2 hours of good secondaries, then the flame transfers to the wood for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours and then the coaling stage.

Search on "burn time". There are dozens of threads and as many opinions. It varies with the heating needs, the wood, the stove loading, reload temp, draft, outdoor temps and the person running the stove. With good wood packed well the Oslo should be able to go 8 hrs between reloads unless the stove is being pushed harder for extra heat.

I've a center chimney, I was told by the store to stuff steel wool in the air inlet in the lower rear side of the Oslo to slow it down and extend burn times....

Any thoughts on this?

You would do better to regulate it with the wood load and timing of the reload and air closing. Larger splits, packed tightly with smaller splits in between will slow down the fire. Reloading on less hot coals and turning down the air sooner will also slow down the burn. Some hardwoods burn longer than others. White oak, hickory, osage orange, locust are all good long burn wood species.

How tall is the flue system on the stove? What type of wood are you burning?

I've a center chimney, I was told by the store to stuff steel wool in the air inlet in the lower rear side of the Oslo to slow it down and extend burn times....

Any thoughts on this?

Do you have a stovetop thermometer? You shouldn't have to block the air inlet to get a longer burn.

Yes I have one.
It's definitely not over firing its steady between 450-550 since doing that...before it would climb to almost 700

700 sounds too high, as Begreen says turn down the air sooner and settle it in at around 450-500, if the temp rises up to 700 after the air is completely shut down check all your gaskets carefully especially the ash door gasket. As far as burn times I think 6 hrs is as good as you'll get with this stove if as Claydog says you are looking to get 350+ temps. I've been trying to tweak mine to get longer burns for a while now and when I'm maximizing my burn time I'll have the air backed off all the way with the stovetop at 450 and the only flame visible is secondary flame, this stage only lasts about a half hour and then I start seeing primary flames as well. Even doing this still only gets you about 6 hrs but of course you can go up to 8+ hrs with coals to reload on if you don't mind the house cooling down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfetone
Brilliant advice from everyone!
The last post is exactly how I have it running now and it's perfect. It needed some tweaking with the air inlet and a new gasket despite being only 6 weeks old but now it's running good

Reactions: Toploader
How tall is the flue system on the stove? What type of wood are you burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.